Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what happens to a 427

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what happens to a 427

I have been reading and looking at all of these crate engines and stuff mostly the 427 ls6's ( go big or go home )... and i have seen some pictures of them after they have them put back in the cars and the ones i've seen didn't have the coils on the heads like mine.... they had the coils off to the side and had different head covers and i heard that since there is such a dramatic change that it is really hard to reprogram the PCM to work perfectly...

so do the 427s have to change the way the ls1 works or are people just doing that cause they are racing and have a set up simmilar to the C5Rs?
Old 11-06-2003, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

the coils are moved because it looks cool, or if they are running huge rockers where the valvecover has to be raised and it would be a PITA to put on. there are no probelms tunning it. its still and LS1 just with a bigger stroke, and bore. people are doing it because it makes power, and more power under the curve not just peak power.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

If mine gets done sometime this year, I will let you know.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:19 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure a meduim to large sized cam upgrade raises more hell with the PCM than a displacement change would.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Larger bore/stroke, thats it. Also you have to resleeve the block due to limits of the stock sleeves and wall thickness issues. Not cheap either way. Coil relocation as Z-rated said is generally an aesthetic mod. The PCM is totally flexible, you can program just about any mod to it. Like Cal said a huge *** cam would be more problematic then displacement, otherwise people wouldn't be doing so many strokers(the kits are expensive enough). Tho truth be told larger displacement and larger cams go hand in hand, its not as radical to have a 24x in a stroker or 427 as it is to have it in a stock displacement(which is nuts to begin with IMHO). Lots of fun tho
Old 11-07-2003, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bear
If mine gets done sometime this year, I will let you know.
Bear, what's snaggin' yours?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Bear, what's snaggin' yours?
Lets See theres this, and that, theres SEMA and whatever else under the sun.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets See theres this, and that, theres SEMA and whatever else under the sun.
Well, hopefully mine will be put together after yours. As long as it's done by Febuary when I get back. That would be 6 months after ordering it, I think that's more than fair. Hope yours is running soon, looking foward to see what it puts out
Old 11-08-2003, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Well, hopefully mine will be put together after yours. As long as it's done by Febuary when I get back. That would be 6 months after ordering it, I think that's more than fair. Hope yours is running soon, looking foward to see what it puts out
TWO BIG problems for me were the block itself and the crank (or lack of a ******* crank still) from Texas Speed and Performance. I eventually gave up and I ordered a Callies carnk after 4 months or so OF NO CRANK FROM TSP. I will be pursuing options with them and the ADMINS REAL SOON. JPR AND I have REPEATEDLY ASKED FOR our crank and rods back. ALL I have gotten from Trevor & Brian is the run around. No money, crank or rods STILL. What makes everything all the worse is JPR ordered a set of pistons SPECIFICALLY FOR THE TSP carnk. Now Joe tells me they are USELESS as they were made for THAT CRANK ONLY!!!!!! Who is going to eat this??????????? IF JOE HAS THE BLOCK ALREADY and you get either the Lunati or Callies crank you should be fine. Good Luck. We should stay in touch and I will let you know how Joe handles evrything. Good Luck or should I say better luck than me.
Bear
Old 11-08-2003, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is Trevors post in the SPONSOR sect of the board from 2 weeks ago.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do U have my crank and rods? No phone calls no crank makes for a very New Yorker. I THOUGHT you guys were good. What the hell happened?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured I would respond since I just received a phone call about this thread. I have been in and out of the office throughout the week, so I have been working down my list of people to call back in the order that the calls were taken. I have a message from you dated Oct. 23rd 4:00 CST. I've tried calling Joe Prince twice in the past week with no answer. The crankshaft grinders have destroyed yet another crankshaft. Sometimes it takes a few to get a good one. We check every crankshaft before sending it out to a customer to ensure that it's been done properly. Yes, I realize that we've been waiting months now on a crank. If I could do anything quicker I would, but it's out of my hands. We now have two bad cranks, and I doubt you'd appreciate us sending you a bad crankshaft. At this point, I think it is best for everyone involved if a stock crank is returned and a refund is issued. I am personally going to send you back a stock crankshaft, along with the full refund sent to us by Joe Prince, on Monday. I apologize for the lengthy delay. I simply pass along information that I get from our grinder. Unfortunately, nothing is perfect so mishaps happen. Send me an e-mail or give me a call Monday morning if you would like to discuss this matter further.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance

Interesting thing, NO MONEY YET. Niether myself or JPR have recived ANYTHING. Also since we are adressing this, What about the useless pistons?