Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine options: builders opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New engine options: builders opinions wanted

First off, I'm not an engine building expert. So, if I say something that's slightly off, feel free to correct my error.

Backstory:
I pulled my built 346 from my '99 C5 as it was using oil at a heavy rate (1qt to 150-200 miles).
Once I got the engine to the builder, he's concerned with some markings on the cylinder walls where it looks like some water may have sat for a period of time and caused a bit of pitting. (very reputable, years in the business, family friend of 30+ years, shop car runs something like 7.20 at ~190 via a N/A 623ci. Nicest guy in the world to boot.)

Anyway, he's not 100% comfortable using that block due to the markings on the one cylinder walls UNLESS i go to a larger piston. The block is already honed on the other 7 cylinders as I thought I was going to use it anyway and have a slightly larger bore on the 8th cylinder with slightly more piston to wall clearance. He said he's run as much as 14-thou on his race car, but that definitely gets warmed up to temp prior to running... and is rebuilt frequently.

**When removed at my house, the bores appeared to be at 3.905.
**The receipt from the pistons shows them to require a 3.905 bore.
**However, the rings (Total Seal PN# MS7984 5) lists these as 3.903. (Perhaps the rings **were too small and had excessive gaps causing the oil consumption?)
**I can't find the info on the rods, but they are from Scat.
**ARP rod bolts, head studs, main studs.

So, given this motor is going in my FRC (which is driven weekly, at most), with the intention of making 450rw on a G5x3 and patriot heads/etc... and maybe a shot of gas (100-150):

Do any ENGINE builders have any recommendations?

my thoughts:
**junkyard LQ4 a mile from my house: $500, bolt it in and play. Sell the forged pistons/rods/studs/etc from mine to recoupe costs.
**IF I can get the flaws out of the block by going to 3.908, Mahle new pistons are ~$650
**Pick up another block for $300 and hope the bores are good enough to use my existing 3.905" pistons.
**screw it... buy this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...lenotsupported I'd use my existing Patriot heads/LS6 intake for a while, then go to a larger, much nastier set of heads/cam down the road. Already have 1-7/8" ARH's which will love the added displacement...
Old 06-14-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if he does hone it out a bit, he can always knurelize the pistons to expand them a bit. but with a 6.0 you have more options down the road.