Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heads and cam install

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default heads and cam install

sorry for posting another stupid heads cam thread. Real quick question nothing stupid about my setup or anything just some install questions. I am very familiar and competent when it comes to cars just wondering if i need to drop the headers to get the rest of the head bolts out. I got some but the two back ones are a real pain it seems like I might have to pull the headers anyway when i re-torque the new heads or do i just to loosen them and rotate them out of the way if thats possible. I have everything off but the heads and the harmonic balancer. will be pulling that stuff tomorrow and wrapping this build up on sunday hopefully. thanks guys
Old 06-26-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of headers. I just moved mine around as needed.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they are the coated pace setter ones. the bolts aren't impossible to get to but close
Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

got another question for you guys. got the heads off and I put my new greased up cam in today. my question/questions are does it matter which way i put my lifters in and is their a way to take the oil pump off with dropping the oil pan to access the pickup tube bolt. thanks guys
Old 06-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by massconfusion
got another question for you guys. got the heads off and I put my new greased up cam in today. my question/questions are does it matter which way i put my lifters in and is their a way to take the oil pump off with dropping the oil pan to access the pickup tube bolt. thanks guys
I put my lifters in the retainer first then put it in line with the cam. you could just losen all of the 8 or 10 bolts and it should drop low enough to reach the pick up tube bolt. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did it and the headers stayed in the car. I disconnected them from the Y-pipe and was able to move them around. Move them to where you have good access to the bolts, and get a friend to jack them up so they'll stay in that spot. I found the best spot for mine (SLP) was to go between the tubes.

Edit: This will present a problem if you're using Head Studs like I did. There was not enough room to put the heads on with the headers and the studs in place. I ended up seating the heads, then putting the studs in - BUT the passenger side bottom back two were too long to fit in. I resorted to using GM head bolts for the two holes I couldn't get the studs in.

Originally Posted by massconfusion
Put the lifters in their trays, then put them in.

Take out all the pan bolts except the last two (leave them in enough so they're still threaded). The tray will drop down enough to do it, although it's not easy. Take the necessary precautions to not drop the bolt into the pan (I stuffed a Ziplock bag in and let the bolt fall into the bag).

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys for all the suggestions can't wait to get started tonite after work