Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6point7s14
I had a similar problem. Check fuel pressure at rail and if it moves any off 58 u either have a clogged filter or sock on the pump or a bad pump itself. Hope this helps
I checked Fuel Pressure a couple months ago, when I first got the "Check Engine" light. At the second click of the ignition "Run", the fuel pressure read 40+ psi. At the third "Strat", the guage read 60+ psi, and stayed at that reading until accelaration. The gauge was read at the fuel rail. I'll try and check it again.

Originally Posted by TrackZ28'S
Hey guys my 2 cents.I have had the same problem.I cleaned everything.Even ran 2 BG Decarb kits through the engine.And Finally determined it was the damn gas I was getting.I changed gas stations to a better known fuel.No problems since.That would be my suggestion.Try some different fuel.
We'll see, I live in a small city, but we atleast have four diff. gas station companies. I'll try and switch, alays run 91 octane.

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
What codes are you getting from the O2 sensors? If it's the heater codes then it's a common problem when installing long tube headers. It moves the sensors so far downstream that they take longer to heat up and it sets the DTC. I usually disable these codes in the tune of any car I put headers on. If it's insufficient activity codes or others pertaining to actual sensor performance then you may need some new O2 extension harnesses. It would also be a good idea to check all harness ground locations to eliminate them as the culprit.
I keep getting codes saying, " O2 sensor Low voltage bank1, O2 sensor Low voltage bank2, running Lean bank2". I changed teh O2 sensors and cleared codes, but they came back on at test drive. Headers had been installed wen I bought them. I checked the connection at the O2 sensors and seem to be on just fine.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 PM

Whats the life expectancy on the after market fuel pumps (e.i. Racetronics and such)?
Or high vlume fuel pumps?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ss201
Whats the life expectancy on the after market fuel pumps (e.i. Racetronics and such)?
Or high vlume fuel pumps?
I'm on four years with my Walbro GSS340 pump from Racetronix, including a few times I starved it for fuel during road courses. It still makes 58psi consistently. Don't want to jinx it, tho.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:56 PM

Thanks man, I was just wondering.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 PM

Well whatever it is, it's making it harder to start my car. Now i have to retry like 3 times just to start the f*cker... really picking away at my patience.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well whatever it is, it's making it harder to start my car. Now i have to retry like 3 times just to start the f*cker... really picking away at my patience.
That could be a leak inside the fuel tank or a bad fuel pressure regulator. If the line that connects the fuel pump to the sending unit is leaking or the regulator is bad it will be hard to start do to low fuel rail pressure(this also will cause lean fuel ratio). You need to check fuel pressure and make sure it will hold it after cycling the key without starting the car.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 PM

I'm starting to think its my fuel pump. What do you think about the Walbro pump from Texas-speed?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm starting to think its my fuel pump. What do you think about the Walbro pump from Texas-speed?
I think you still haven't checked your fuel pressure and reported back with current numbers, unless I missed it.

You could be right, your pump might be on its way out, but you'll want to get some data before going to all the trouble to drop your tank.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:40 PM

yeah actually your are correct. I have not checked the pressure at the rails. But I was able to contact the previous owner, he said that he started to have problems with it. Had to start to prime the pump once before start. Now Ii see myself priming the pump atleast 3 times before start. Them it just fails to keep pressure when it gets hot. Plus, he showed me that when he put that pump in, he cut a square hole on the bed of the hatchback, undrer the carpet that allows for easy access to the fuel lines.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:43 AM

Ok well, im getting a fuel pump next paycheck, drop it in, and hopefully it works fine. Wish me luck guys!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:50 AM

well got my new pump in, works great, it stopped messing up. I think i need a new tune now. but for the most part it stopped messing with me.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good deal man. I'm glad you got it running right again.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:27 PM

Thanx man, it sure is a better feeling when you have a properly running camaro!