Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ms3 or ms4

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
the ms4 will outperform the ms3 in a 346 also..
Some people say that, I am NOT a MS4 cam fan though. I have seen some poor running and performing MS4 cars. I wouldnt buy that cam ever. To many personal experiances with customers and friends having poor results. I will race anyone around my area with a MS4 cam and I will be installing a MS3 in my WS6 and beat them. They are over rated and dont perform in my state worth ****. I am just being honest with what I have seen over the years in the f body scene. I am not being a hater, they must not like altitude or something. 5,800 feet here every day.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MS4 here, the car makes great power for being a little 346 still.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
Some people say that, I am NOT a MS4 cam fan though. I have seen some poor running and performing MS4 cars. I wouldnt buy that cam ever. To many personal experiances with customers and friends having poor results. I will race anyone around my area with a MS4 cam and I will be installing a MS3 in my WS6 and beat them. They are over rated and dont perform in my state worth ****. I am just being honest with what I have seen over the years in the f body scene. I am not being a hater, they must not like altitude or something. 5,800 feet here every day.
We race at 5300 ft here in ABQ, NM. 8,000 ft da. Considering I have the quickest and fastest N/A 346 in the state that I know of, I think the cam is fine for our altitude.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

the biggest reason the ms4 does not perform in most applications that i see is bad tuning..
the second is a mismatched setup.. you cant run a 3500 converter 373s ls6 intake and **** at 6000 RPMs... this cam NEEDS TO BREATH and need to breath UP TOP!!!
4000 (min.) stall 410s FAST 9090 (min.) shifting at 6500 or so etc etc..

you cant buy this cam for a DD car and half *** the setup while trying to keep MPG in mind along with a tight budget.. that would be more suited for the ms3..

so in MOST applications (especially for the street) the ms3 will outperform the ms4.. not because it is a "better" cam but because people usually dont put the requirements that the ms4 needs for a "street car"..

my times are in my sig with mine.. car was my DD, every single day rain or shine as it was my only vehicle.. that was without a tune for the heads.. hit my 1-2 and 2-3 rev limiter (it was set only 200 RPMs higher than my shift points and i ran that time hot lapped).. also spun through the 60 foot.. it would lift the tires about a foot off the ground, unload, then spin.. id say it ran better than *most* ms3 cars that see every day driving.. dont know of too many 346 NA cars trapping 95+mph in the 1/8, especially with BONE stock suspension and no tune..

not arguing, just trying to show you its not as bad as you think it is!

Originally Posted by 01sscam
MS4 here, the car makes great power for being a little 346 still.
Yea, but your gay.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyways the MS3 isnt a small cam, it is 236/ 238 duration I believe. That is actually a pretty big camshaft. Lift doesnt tell you how big the cam is.
its a 239/242...Its a big cam for sure.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I've seen very good torque and results with MS3 in 408ci application in the dyno section(470-490rwhp and very good torque 450+). MS3-4 would make nice torque in a 383 with good power while its more of a top end screamer in a 346ci application.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 01sscam
We race at 5300 ft here in ABQ, NM. 8,000 ft da. Considering I have the quickest and fastest N/A 346 in the state that I know of, I think the cam is fine for our altitude.
What Heads and Intake setup are you running on your car? And Holy **** how did you strip your car down to 2900 lbs. That is f**king insane! **** I wouldnt even feel safe in my car at that wieght. I would probabley be an air borne vehicle at top speeds.

Congrats on being the fastest N/A car in N.M., I am not doubting you. I just think it is to big for a 346 and have never really seen it perfected here in Colorado. Do you have any video's you could post or PM me?

Originally Posted by lemons12
the biggest reason the ms4 does not perform in most applications that i see is bad tuning..
the second is a mismatched setup.. you cant run a 3500 converter 373s ls6 intake and **** at 6000 RPMs... this cam NEEDS TO BREATH and need to breath UP TOP!!!
4000 (min.) stall 410s FAST 9090 (min.) shifting at 6500 or so etc etc..

you cant buy this cam for a DD car and half *** the setup while trying to keep MPG in mind along with a tight budget.. that would be more suited for the ms3..

so in MOST applications (especially for the street) the ms3 will outperform the ms4.. not because it is a "better" cam but because people usually dont put the requirements that the ms4 needs for a "street car"..

my times are in my sig with mine.. car was my DD, every single day rain or shine as it was my only vehicle.. that was without a tune for the heads.. hit my 1-2 and 2-3 rev limiter (it was set only 200 RPMs higher than my shift points and i ran that time hot lapped).. also spun through the 60 foot.. it would lift the tires about a foot off the ground, unload, then spin.. id say it ran better than *most* ms3 cars that see every day driving.. dont know of too many 346 NA cars trapping 95+mph in the 1/8, especially with BONE stock suspension and no tune..

not arguing, just trying to show you its not as bad as you think it is!
At this point it seems like to me we are building a race car, not a car that can do both. If I wanted a track car only, I still wouldnt choose the MS4 Cam. The setup you posted above is a track setup and would drive like **** on the street IMO. I dont know to many people that would flat commit to building there car for a true track setup car. And, not street drive it from time to time. Also I havent seen or heard any of the rumored vaccum issues address with this cam.

I still believe the MS3 has the fastest N/A 1/4 time in America and 4 out of the 10 in USA too. Others belonging to the T Rex Cam. Just My 2 cents.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

What Heads and Intake setup are you running on your car? And Holy **** how did you strip your car down to 2900 lbs. That is f**king insane! **** I wouldnt even feel safe in my car at that wieght. I would probabley be an air borne vehicle at top speeds.

Congrats on being the fastest N/A car in N.M., I am not doubting you. I just think it is to big for a 346 and have never really seen it perfected here in Colorado. Do you have any video's you could post or PM me?
2900 lbs isnt as hard to get down to as you think it is... i was at 3k lbs and when i sold the car you couldnt tell anything was even taken out of the interior except for rear seats..

At this point it seems like to me we are building a race car, not a car that can do both. If I wanted a track car only, I still wouldnt choose the MS4 Cam. The setup you posted above is a track setup and would drive like **** on the street IMO. I dont know to many people that would flat commit to building there car for a true track setup car. And, not street drive it from time to time. Also I havent seen or heard any of the rumored vaccum issues address with this cam.

I still believe the MS3 has the fastest N/A 1/4 time in America and 4 out of the 10 in USA too. Others belonging to the T Rex Cam. Just My 2 cents.
you dont buy the ms4 to DD IMO.. it is for MAX EFFORT setups.. which means you cant go sissy on it.. it needs all of those things to compliment it and this is the ONLY way it will shine.. of course an ms3 or just about ANY other said cam in a WELL balanced setup is going to perform better than an ms4 in a horribly mismatched setup..
that is what im trying to say.. that is why you dont see many cars on the streets with ms4s that perform like they should.. if you meet someone that does drive it on the street and they went to the lengths to build it right, like me (which i still should have had AFRs or PRC 215s or the like, i had stg1 prcls6 heads ) then it is a force to be reckoned with, at the track and on the street..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...cam-video.html

the ms4 holds the record..
Old 08-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still believe the MS3 has the fastest N/A 1/4 time in America and 4 out of the 10 in USA too.
Wow, not calling you a liar or anything but I find that kinda hard to believe. Can you post links to that?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is not the fastest n/a list you are refereeing to that is the fastest cam only list, i do believe
and probably the reason for that is like stated already is you need good heads and supporting mods for the ms4 to really shine
Old 08-16-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
that is not the fastest n/a list you are refereeing to that is the fastest cam only list, i do believe
and probably the reason for that is like stated already is you need good heads and supporting mods for the ms4 to really shine

im not trying to take anything away from the ms3.. it is a VERY good cam also.. i like almost all TSP products..

but comparing the ms3 and ms4 is kind of dumb..
TSP has even said the ms4 is a better grind and WILL outperform the ms3 in the correct applications..

all in all... you see more properly setup ms3 applications than you do ms4 applications.. ESPECIALLY on the street..

Quick Reply: ms3 or ms4