Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerning LS1 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Concerning LS1 Intake

Something that I recently noticed is that all air filter lids for the LS1 have a raised gap at the back. Here's a picture showing exactly what I mean:

Now the elevation may range a few millimeters between manufacturers (SLP pictured), but they all have this gap. So since the very top of the air filter (orange rim) doesn't reach high enough to press against the inner upper surface of the lid, you depend on the outer sides of the lid to reach all the way down to rest flush with the air box. But since the back is raised, the very purpose of the air filter is defeated because that slit is always going to allow raw air in from the back. I understand that many use weather strips to help it seal better, but leaving it stock is just insufficient. So my question is why do they design lids with an opening at the back? Am I missing something?

By the way, I recently purchased a used MAF from a C5. It still has the screen, but to my surprise, there's a lot of small pieces of leaves and whatnot. They're small, but not tiny, certainly big enough to make me wonder just how they got past the air filter. I thought maybe the car owner wasn't even using a filter and just relying on that screen.

I'm not too knowledgeable with the internals of the engine, but common sense tells me that it's probably not a great thing to have debris getting in on a steady basis, especially if the car's a daily driver. So I would like to just raise awareness in case this hasn't been brought up