Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap trick

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam swap trick

Here is a little trick that I learned during my cam swap over the past couple of days. Instead of the pen magnet method or paying way too much for the "JPR" lifter tool, just get a couple of 1/4" aluminum rods from the harware store, cut them to about 21 inches and slide them into the two holes that are next to the cam after spinning it a couple of times and instantly all 16 lifters are held up w/ no chance of them falling. You may have to bend the rods a little to get them in and I found it to be easier to bring the rod in from the bottom of the engine bay, but they bend real easy since they are aluminum. Then take the money you saved by not buying someones overpriced rods and put it toward the "More" tool. This thing makes it so much easier to change out the springs and there is no chance that you will break a bolt, like some other methods.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree but the "More" tool is a huge POS. Get the tool made by Larry in the "Tools" Forum. $30 and the BEST tool to use. I have used nearly all of the tools for valvesprings and this is by far the best.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:20 AM
STF Veteran

BOTH are good advice, thanks guys!
Old 11-25-2003, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm, didn't know that someone here could make something similar. Guess I lodt money on that one. You know, when I got it, I was like, "Hey I coulda made this out of an old rocker!" Guess I paid too much for it. Oh well, chaulk it up to another lesson learned. I need to hang out here more.