Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam for stock heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam for stock heads

Money is a little tight but was going to get a cam and LTs with my income tax return. What would be the best cam for these stock heads? Will get new springs and pushrods as well. Heads would be a few years down the road. Any thoughts?
Old 09-04-2009, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you want out of the car?
Old 09-04-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well seeing how my plans have changed (finances) I want the car noticeably faster than it is. Figured that a cam and LTs would make a good difference in it. Was just weighing my options as to what cam seeing how I will be replacing the heads in a few years.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give us some more details on the vehicle and its mods and plans. What do you do with the car (street vs track)? What specific goals do you have for this swap (sound, peak dyno numbers, street manners, etc)? The more specific you can be, the better the recommendations will be as to which route you might go.

We've got a little of everything from mild to wild, but need to know the details to make that recommendation!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Only mods I have are what show in my signature. K&N, Diablo sport II reprogrammer and a cutout. I have koni 4/4 on it too. My car is a street car. Might see the track later on but for now it is only for the street. I use it to go to work and back and some weekend drags on 82nd. I want good street manners and a great sound. Dyno numbers are a good thing but not the highest on the list considering it is on the street. This is my first LS1 so I want to do it right. Car has about 42000 miles on it. Seeing how yall are about 10 minutes from me I will be getting my stuff from yall. Just doing some research to see where I stand.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:59 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Right on, I didn't notice you were here local! Is your car automatic or a 6 speed? Are we going to tune the car or are you trying to use the Diablo after you get the cam installed? Are you keeping the stock exhaust and LS6 intake on the car or upgrading down the road?

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 09-04-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep, local boy. Even know Jason from a while back. My car is a 6 speed. Wanted to get some LTs and ORY to help the cam along the way. Will be sticking with the LS6 intake for now and might look into something else later on when I do the heads.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I'd check out the 228R! It offers a nice mixture of peak power with nice street manners and power under the curve. It would be a nice addition to the car. I'd sell the Diablo to pay for a dyno tune!

Old 09-04-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was looking at that one or the Torquer V2. Just wanted a little more feedback on it. Guess I could sell the Diablo to help pay for the tune. Been a big help with this!!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Torquer V2 is a good cam so is the 228r I don't think you could go wrong with a bolt-on street cam only car with either of those two cams. What clutch do you have stock? After the cam you'll probably want to upgrade if you haven't already. And LT's and a ORY are a prerequisite some will say before a cam even goes in. GL!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

the 228r will make for a good cam, or a custom grind. I had a 226/230 .609/.588 and that cam was a killer street cam.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Also don't forget the little things your going to need such as gaskets, etc. I don't know how many miles are on your car but since your going to have it all off an Oil pump wouldn't hurt. Out of those 2 choices I would run the Torquer 2. I run the Torquer 3 in my car. Does fine on the street. I don't drive mine everyday.