Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid, but very lucky!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid, but very lucky!!

Had to take a break during my valve spring upgrade. Upgrading from Comp 918's to PRC Dual's from Texas Speed. Got the drivers side done this morning and had to go to work. Got home and started on the passenger side.
Got all set up, air chuck in the spark plug hole, line to my compressor all hooked up. Now my air line is split in two sections, it broke a few years ago, so I needed the other section to reach my car in the garage. So one half had pressure in it, the other half didn't.
Hook up the line and got air into the cylinder, compressed the spring and removed the locks. My very nice spring kit from Texas Speed also came with new valve seals, so as I'm going along here I notice the psssss is getting quieter. Wow that cylinder is really sealed good I says to meslelf.
Now the Pssssss is gone, wow that cylinder is completly sealed, I says to meself. Pull the old seal and PLUNK!!! Valve drops down!!! ARRRRGGGGG!@@@!!!!!
So I now realize the Psssssss is gone because the valve is closed at the compressor and what air was in the line bled out. I have a big gulp of wine, yep wine, and say well now I just created a whole bunch more work for myself.
I get a flashlight and I can see the tip of the valve is still in the guide. Pulled all the plugs and slowly started to turn her over. Here comes the valve back up the guide!!! Yes, I pushed the valve back up with the piston, I know I can see you cringing in your seat. Turn the air back on, and it was an intake valve so its pushing air and fuel up through my carb, yep its carbed. When there was enough of the tip to grab, I pull it up and the cylinder seal's back up.

I quit for the night!!!! So I'm pretty stupid, but at the same time I'm pretty lucky! As Toby Keith said " I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm good once as I ever was" Guess you gotta be a country music fan to appreciate that one.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, and this is why I'm putting stock 799/243 heads on my car. They might not gain as much power as ported heads and it might be a lot of work, but valve spring changing will be EASY.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jetlag
Haha, and this is why I'm putting stock 799/243 heads on my car. They might not gain as much power as ported heads and it might be a lot of work, but valve spring changing will be EASY.
yep, laugh it up!
Old 09-05-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why you always also want to have the cylinder on TDC when changing the springs.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddySS
That's why you always also want to have the cylinder on TDC when changing the springs.
Yup. X2. But good story, and yes, very lucky.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Live and learn. I hadn't even thought of that. Makes sense, a lot of sense. Thanks.