Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump oring question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pump oring question

when going to put an ls6 pump on a 98 camaro ls1, i noticed the recessed inlet of the new pump is deeper than on the stock pump. if i install it like this, the oring will sit in between the id/od of the pickup tube and pump fine, but wont be seated all the way down in the oil pump or touching the pickup tubes bump on the inside of the flange. is this ok? do i need to use a different pickup tube.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:08 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not had any problems with newer oil pumps when using the correct O-ring. Do you have a picture of the pickup tube your engine has? There were 2 different early ones; one had a recess for a thicker o-ring, and the other (newer design) has just the smooth o-ring section with no recess.

Most F-body pickup tubes will use the blue GM O-ring, or the black mellings o-ring (same dimensions). But the more uncommon older pickup tube needs to use the thicker O-ring design like the trucks use.

The 2010 Camaro LS3 uses the thicker red O-ring FWIW, I guess they finally figured out that enough people had a hard time with the blue o-ring.

Quick Reply: oil pump oring question