Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cylinder head help

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cylinder head help

ok guys this might be stupid but im about ready to install the new springs and remove the older LS6 springs off of my 243s. So i want to clean it up and i used some carb cleaners and stuff but some **** is preatty caked on... so can i use a pressure cleaner on them???

the other question was that these heads came off of a car that hydrolocked and broke 2 rods at the very base, so believe it or not the block nor the cylinder walls were damaged, but could there have been any damage to the heads or valves? a friend of mine said to use mineral oil and see if it leaks down from the combustion chamber to the runners....but hes a FORD master mechanic so i dont trust him...

what should i look for to know if they are good to go?
Old 10-16-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

As far as cleaning the heads, pressure washing isn't going to hurt a thing. Mine can inject cleaning solutions, so if you can, inject a good emulsifier to help get the grime off.
As for the actual condition of the heads, a leak down test or compression tests are definitely good ideas. What your friend said, I'm not sure. If you trust him, go for it - although our cars make more power , principles stand the same with fords. Not sure it the piston could have traveled any further than normal when the rod broke and maybe slightly bent a valve. Definitely worth a few hours' labor checking tho!
Old 10-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Launching!

the highest one of the pistons that rod broke got was about 1 inch away from top dead center so i dont think it could have hit one of the valves, anyway, ill be able to see if i see anything wierd when i take them apart. thanks