Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

people using GTP heads,please read

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i have heard it before "GTPs!! get (brand X) and save money." why would i wanna cut corners i ask.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maddboost
Money better spent else where? Ask any serious engine builder that heads is where your power is made their is no such thing as spending too much on heads. As far as dyno numbers alot of people compare peak numbers what about under the curve?

Far too often people claim things are overpriced when in fact they simply cant afford something of that quality level and would rather bash it or try to compare a less expensive product to it. Im not saying everything that costs more is better but a good majority of higher priced items are superior to their low buck competitiors.
And some of your vendors are more worried about making a buck off someone who dosen't know any better. Every one has a diffrent opinion on how your power is made. You could have the best heads in the world and a shitty cam and make no power. Then What? Lots of things factor in to making power. I personally have the money to buy whichever type of cylinder head I want. I wouldn't merley bash a product because I couldn't afford it. The flow bench told the tale for me about GTP. High dollar heads that flow no where near what they should. As far as power under the curve is concerned, if your smart, those are the number you look at first. Who cares about a peak number if your gunna get your doors blown off for the first 3-4k rpm's? Unlike some people, I don't praise just the product I run. I give props to whom ever deserves it. Unlike this post, which has turned into a, "I want GTP and nothing else", "GTP is the best". Monkeyboy, don't look at it as cutting corners, look at it as getting a product that is just as good, if not better,for less money. Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope your not narrow minded enought to think that GTP is the only head porting service out there. Hell, even MTI put out a set of Stage 2E heads for $1800 bucks to keep up with the competition.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:53 PM
Launching!

this topic is turned from what kinda #s GTPs are putting down and what kinda track times to other heads are better because they are cheaper. i was looking for insite on power related #s, not a comparison. and for your info, GTP is working to put out some budget heads also. if that makes me narrow minded, so be it.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:57 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Craig over @ GTP knows his stuff. You can't go wrong with a set of his cylinder heads. His dual valve spring packages are more expensive due to the springs he uses. I don't know of anyone using the Comp Cams Pro-Pac springs. They are used in Nascar and pro-forms of racing. His knowledge is 2nd to none.
Phillip
Old 12-08-2003, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

I know you keep asking for GTP times/dyno, but have you given any thought to MTI's heads ? If I was going to do H/C that's the first place I would look at.

http://www.motorsporttech.com/fbody_engine01.asp
Old 12-08-2003, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
and for your info, GTP is working to put out some budget heads also. if that makes me narrow minded, so be it.
I don't think that you are narrow minded nor was I calling you that. I was just trying to open the topic to constructive criticism. If all you want is GTP, so be it. If Craig comes out with a budget head it would probablly help his buisness alot.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:27 PM
Launching!

MTI would be nice to have and have been one of the leading heads at tracks. that was another choice of mine. main reason i chose GTP was because craig actually spent some time on the phone with me discussing what my plans were and what i want out of my car. trust me, i did call other speed shops but the first thing that flew outta theirs mouths were " we flow Xcfm ,our heads are reasonbly priced and outflow the competition". never did they ask "what do you want your car to do?"
Old 12-08-2003, 08:52 PM
Launching!

I have had three specific cases where I have used GTP heads.

Around 1994 or so, I ordered some of his heads for my Lt1...because of what I had heard about his work. With a Comp 306 cam, I ran 11.5 @ 120 mph all motor, stock shortblock...with a 6spd. For a long period of time, I had the fastest stock shortblock Lt1 around on motor.

Fast forward to 2000...I get a 2000 SS that I do the basic bolt-ons too. I called Craig up again, and told him I wanted some serious Ls1 heads that flowed...and a cam to match. He sent me a set of his worked over 4.8's, and a tiny for now 226 cam. TWO WEEKS LATER, on the 2nd trip to the track...I ran a 10.9 @ 123.50 mph...running the FIRST 10 SEC PASS for a stock shortblock A4, on motor!!!

3 weeks ago, we put together another car in the shop...basic rebuilt 346, GTP 4.8 heads again, and a custom AMS cam. The car made 450 rwhp through an unlocked convertor, and ran a 9.7 @ 139 mph FIRST TIME AT THE TRACK! with a single 150 shot. It was the fastest F-body at the GMHTP shootout here at Ennis.

If thats not a track record for his heads, I don't know what is

Chris
AMS RACING
Old 12-08-2003, 09:06 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, we have a set of AS heads on the G5X3 car. They are the 2.75 heads. They seem to work real well.

With that said let me give you a little info on GTP. Craig is an all around good guy. He helped us in some racing that we are running which requires unported heads. Through his expertise in valve selection and valve angles Craig was able to pick us up 30cfm.

Sure, you don't see Craigs name all over the boards as he isn't out their pushing his product or hanging out on the boards. To say his flow work is outdated would be an incorrect statement. Craig has earned his stripes. Unless you have been over to Craigs shop and he told you he has stopped any further development work on the Ls1 program, I'd say you're totally off base.

Let me give you a real world example. Two cars with identical mods (224cam, headers and full bolt-ons). When they were dyno'd they had the exact same mods, and the dyno graphs would lay right on top of one another. In other words identical test conditions. One car had a set of vendor X's heads installed and the car dyno'd 414RWHP. The GTP heads were placed on the other car and dyno'd 440RWHP. BTW vendor X's heads flowed better than the GTPs from .050 to .500 the GTP pulled ahead at .550 and were ahead slightly for the rest of the test, but not by a huge margin.

Craig knew where and whernot to remove material, and his heads do the talking on both the dyno, and the track. Flow numbers are a god thing, They just aren't the only thing...
Old 12-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Launching!

thanks J-rod for your unbiased info. i really do appreciate it. i can rest assured that i made the right choice.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

I've got a set and love them. Just got them back actually from being freshed up.

I really never paid attention to flow #'s are even dyno #'s.. My car runs great and hope to run even better shortly..
Old 12-09-2003, 12:40 AM
Banned

Location: BOSTON IS MY HOME, BUT NOW, IAM A PERMINENT VISITER HERE IN TAMPA.

Get Cartek heads......THEY ARE THE BEST IMO.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Launching!

naw, i have more confidence in GTP. what makes cartek heads better than GTP?
Old 12-09-2003, 04:50 PM
Launching!

awwww yeahh, just posted message #100..its miller time..
Old 12-09-2003, 07:13 PM
9 Second Club

I think GTP makes a great product, but the price is too much... here is a dyno graph TR230 cam and absolute speed stage 2 heads.

I am quite happy with the results, I will note this was a strong cammed only car as it put down 426 rwhp, but the gain is nice 35 rwhp for just the heads.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Launching!

what is considered too much? thats all i hear" GTPs are too much." why is it too much to pay on quality product with proven performance? why cant we just put the "cost issue" aside and focus on the topic. i know AS(along with other companies) has some great products, but at this time i want info on GTPs. i dont want come across as some rude dick, i am only interested in GTP info at this time. thank you, and nice #s by the way.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts

J-Rod, that's very interesting was this a recent test or awhile back?