Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help during cam swap!!

Old 10-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help during cam swap!!

im doing a cam swap on my 99 camaro, got the radiator out, waterpump off, crank bolt broke lose, now where im stuck is getting the stock balancer off, ive always heard a normail 3 arm puller will do just fine, ive bought two, broke them both. i need another option if someone has one, something i can do to get it off today preferably, i have a connection at the local chevy dealer that says he has the specialty tool but has never had to use it and doesn;t know where it is so i'd have to beg him to look for it. hows everyone do this!?
Old 10-31-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to autozone, they will rent you the pulley puller tool. Its the same as the Chrysler pulley remover tool. You leave a deposit, when youre done you get your money back so its free. It looks like the one below
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harmo...motiveQ5fTools
Old 10-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I rented my 3 arm puller from Autozone. They rent two sizes of pullers, get the smaller one. When you go to use it, make sure that the puller bolt is centered up and the three arms bear evenly on the puller. Autozone also rents a big torque wrench which is nice because you need to hit a high torque when you re-seat the crank pulley using the stock bolt.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i rented the bigger 2 ton puller i think from autozone, its a bitch to position it right, so get on the floor and position it pretty good on the crank pulley. and tighten that thing up and put it in 4th gear. as soon as the pulley breaks free just a little bit you will be gravy. oh also loosen the actual crank pulley bolt and thread it in just enough so the puller has something to push against
Old 10-31-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Go to autozone, they will rent you the pulley puller tool. Its the same as the Chrysler pulley remover tool. You leave a deposit, when youre done you get your money back so its free. It looks like the one below
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harmo...motiveQ5fTools
That's the one you want, it works great!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys, i rented the big one today and it was not even close to fitting inside the balancer, ill go exchange for the small one tommorow and see if i have any better luck, ill keep ya'll updated!

Search this Thread