Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What ratio rockers with VRX3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ratio rockers with VRX3?

Been thinking of getting a set of rockers and just wondered what my options were? Stock rockers giving alot of noise and thought MAYBE i could change ratios to 1.8 but donno how much lift i can go before flycutting. Heads/ block stock untouched heights. Heads have tea dual gold springs good for .660 lift. VRX3 Cam specs .585/.588 114lsa.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Calvertcm2003
Been thinking of getting a set of rockers and just wondered what my options were? Stock rockers giving alot of noise and thought MAYBE i could change ratios to 1.8 but donno how much lift i can go before flycutting. Heads/ block stock untouched heights. Heads have tea dual gold springs good for .660 lift. VRX3 Cam specs .585/.588 114lsa.
Your new lift numbers are going to be respectably 619/622.

With the springs you have you will be ok.

The largest lift I say you can do with out having to do relief cuts on the piston would be somewhere around .649 and that is it.

What rockers are you going with. IMHO with an LS engine no matter what Yella Terra are by far the best rockers with the least amount of break down that I have seen, read about, or heard of. Harland Sharps you'll have clearence issues and Scorpions they are hit and miss. My other advice would be go with shaft mounted rather than stud mounted.

Now my question to you is this was the pre-load set correctly because usually a noisy valve train can always be traced back to that, or using the wrong lifters with the wrong rockers (ie Comp "R" lifters with stock rockers) and noise would be the least of your worries.

What lifters are you running and what where your pre-load points low and high?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the VRX3, and am staying with the stock 1.7
Old 11-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Im most likely going with the Yella Terra been doing some research and they look the best out of the Harland Sharps/Scorpions. As far as the pre-load i used ls7 lifters and 7.400 pushrods and torqued down stock rockers 22-24 lb. ft. since i dont have milled heads/deck. Ive put over 30k miles on the car since the cam work has been done btw, just been noticing a louder valvetrain noise.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02*C5
The largest lift I say you can do with out having to do relief cuts on the piston would be somewhere around .649 and that is it.
Don't listen to anyone talking about piston to valve clearance EVER!!! You have to check it for yourself! This guy isn't going to buy you a new engine if you install 1.8 rockers, because he "thinks" it will be OK, and it destroys your engine. You are the only one that will be paying!

Plus max lift has nothing to do with piston to valve clearance. Do you know where the piston is at max lift??

Piston to valve clearance is affected by a combination of timing events and ramp rates. And has absolutely nothing to do with max lift.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Calvertcm2003
Im most likely going with the Yella Terra been doing some research and they look the best out of the Harland Sharps/Scorpions. As far as the pre-load i used ls7 lifters and 7.400 pushrods and torqued down stock rockers 22-24 lb. ft. since i dont have milled heads/deck. Ive put over 30k miles on the car since the cam work has been done btw, just been noticing a louder valvetrain noise.
Your clatter is coming most likely from the incorrect rod size. Did you check the rod length with a length checker. Usually you are going to run a smaller rod because the LS7 lifter has a higher cup than an LS1 lifter even with an un-milled deck your going to need shorter rods.

Once you get the right rod length then I would go on the high end of the of the torque down range. That should quiet your valve train down. If I posted anything wrong then some one will correct me.

Your PTVC should be .080. Now when you do your PTVC or your preload do not "pre-soak" the lifters with oil prior, you will attain wrong numbers resulting in valve train clatter again.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_07...nce/index.html

another really good site for info.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/ch...e-spg-144.html

Last edited by 02*C5; 11-10-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your duration is what you need to be concerned with not the lift....you may find that the 1.8 rockers will not work real well with your cams lobes...what lobes are used...one of the cam gurus should chime in and tell you for sure if they will work with that cam...I know that the 1.8 rockers are not recomended with the XER lobes ... to be shure you should always check on what your p to v clearance is using the old school clay in the cylinder method.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
to be shure you should always check on what your p to v clearance is using the old school clay in the cylinder method.
The most accurate way is with a solid lifter, adjustable pushrod, checking spring, and dial indicator.

Quick Reply: What ratio rockers with VRX3?