Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L rods fit in LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.0L rods fit in LS1?

Are the 6.0L rods interchangeable with LS1 rods?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:13 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Yep. Same 6.098" length. Some even have bushed pin bores, instead of having a press fit.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Im doing a stock rebuild with my 02 LS1, Stock crank, newer stock pistons, and some 6.0L rods. The big and small ends of the 6.0L rods are the same dia. as the stock LS1 rods? There is a local guy near me with some low mile used rods and I need to know from you guys before I make the call.
Thanks.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:52 AM
Teching In

Maybe I should send this thread to the advanced LS1 section? Seriously? Thank you
Derek.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transamman1234
Im doing a stock rebuild with my 02 LS1, Stock crank, newer stock pistons, and some 6.0L rods. The big and small ends of the 6.0L rods are the same dia. as the stock LS1 rods? There is a local guy near me with some low mile used rods and I need to know from you guys before I make the call.
Thanks.
To answer you question of whether the big and small ends of the 6.0L rods are the same dia. as the stock LS1 rods? Yes and No, the early 6.0L rods had the same "Press Fit" wrist pins as the LS1 and the later 6.0L rods use a free floating pin. So your best bet is to ask the seller if they are a press fit or free float type of rod. The free floating pin rod is what aftermarket rods use because it creates less friction on the pistons and rod. If I am correct the free floating pin rods will look like brass in the small end. If you are doing a stock rebuild you need to look at the bores of your block as you might need to hone the cylinder walls, if that is the case you will need oversize pistons like a 3.903, 3.905. or up to a 3.908 (Max). You can pickup stock cast hypereutectic type pistons at a relatively inexpensive price and take advantage of the free floating pin rods.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:12 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by transamman1234
Thanks.
Yes, they are fine to use. Same dimensions. Like already mentioned, you have a choice between press fit and a bushed pin bore. The only difference, basically, is how the piston and rod go together. The bushed rod has a bronze bushing in the small end with a "V" groove in it for oil. The press fit rod doesn't have this bushing.

The press fit will likely require a machine shop to put the rod and piston together. Typically, they will heat the small end in a special oven, so that the pin could slide right in, and as it cools, it clamps down on the pin, locking it into place. A special fixture is typically used, so I wouldn't try this at home.

The bushed rod will allow you to do it yourself, though. The pin bore has clearance, so the pin slides in and is held by clips in the piston. I'm going to be building something similar, and since I like the ease of the bushed pin bore, I got bushed LS2 rods, but regualar 6.0L would work just as well.

Quick Reply: 6.0L rods fit in LS1?