Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pick-up tube?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pick-up tube?

OK, to try and make a long story short...

When I had my formula, after about 35k miles it starting knocking pretty good. The store manager at Midas (very knowledgeable guy) found a bulletin (not sure where) that it was common for I believe 01 and 02s, that when the pickup tube was installed into the oil pan, the rubber grommet would partially block the tube. So he ended up replacing lifters, push rods, and whatever else was associated. He even kept had kept the tube and showed me, and you could see the grommet was cocked and was covering it.

Well low and behold, my TA is now starting to do the samething. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to some how check this tube myself? I have read on here, that in order to remove the oil pan, you have to drop the motor. Something I definitely could not tackle.

Just looking for advice, a previous write-up, or what not.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you talking about the blue/green O-ring? Unless you did a recent cam/oil pump swap I do not believe this would be the issue.

To access the oil pan (drop) you need to lift the block, basicaly loosen motor mounts and jack up the block a bit (trans disconnected). It is doable with motor in.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That bulletin also notes that you would have low idle oil pressure. How was the oil pressure at 20K miles or earlier? This issues shows up right on the showroom floor so unless you had seen oil pressure issues I think you may have another problem.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't have low oil pressure in either vehicle. So I guess I won't worry about it... Maybe it just hates the cold we have been having here in Houston. (shrug)
Old 12-06-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What kind of oil grade are you using? If you use thick grade in warm eather and then have much colder temperatures you'll find the oil has more difficulty flowing untill it reaches operating temperature.
I live in Houston and sometimes if i travelled North, like Colorado, I would switch from 20W50 to 10W40 to make it easier on the motor on cold starts. (SBC)
Old 12-06-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
What kind of oil grade are you using? If you use thick grade in warm eather and then have much colder temperatures you'll find the oil has more difficulty flowing untill it reaches operating temperature.
I live in Houston and sometimes if i travelled North, like Colorado, I would switch from 20W50 to 10W40 to make it easier on the motor on cold starts. (SBC)
I am presently running 5w30 Castrol Syntec.
I can't say for sure what color the gromet was, just remember when he showed it to me (a few years ago) that you could see that it had been cocked off to the side, and was definitely blocking the tube.

I will become more concerned if it continues to do so, then go from there. I was just wondering if there was an easy way for me to check it, but don't think that is something I would be able to do.

Thanks for the replies.