Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Cam or Shelf Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost every off the shelf cam started out as a custom grind that produced great results and was then put in production.

Also someones custom grind cam, that they dont like the numbers to be known may be their own production cam and may be in more than one kind of vehicle, and they use it cause its proven to work on there builds.

Take Texas speed for instance, all there cams were a idea they put into a build and then produced it.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BaddBird
Why do you think it would be harder for an inexperienced tuner to tune a custom cam vs an off the shelf cam? You yourself stated above that most custom specs are very similar to off the shelf cams.Im pretty sure that not every well known LSX tuner has tuned every off the shelf cam.
Although the specs may be close that is it. If you have a MS4 for example you can go on tech boards and find problems and or help for tune. If you have a custom cam which most do not like the specs to be posted you will be less likely to get alot of help.

And Professional(Quality) LSX tuners do not need to have tuned every cam to know how to tune a custom grind or any cam. That is why you pay them for their knowledge.

The OP posted in another post in this section about DL tunes from HPT forum and using them to get a start for another members car. Which leads me to believe that he is just a beginner when it comes to tuning. Which would lead me to believe that tuning for that cam would be daunting task.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Although the specs may be close that is it. If you have a MS4 for example you can go on tech boards and find problems and or help for tune. If you have a custom cam which most do not like the specs to be posted you will be less likely to get alot of help.

And Professional(Quality) LSX tuners do not need to have tuned every cam to know how to tune a custom grind or any cam. That is why you pay them for their knowledge.

The OP posted in another post in this section about DL tunes from HPT forum and using them to get a start for another members car. Which leads me to believe that he is just a beginner when it comes to tuning. Which would lead me to believe that tuning for that cam would be daunting task.
I get your point but If someone new to tuning can pull off a good street tune for an off the shelf cam they should be able to pull off a custom cam tune. Still the same method of tuning just different cam .I do agree with you about "professional lsx tuners" they don't need to have tuned every cam to know what they are doing because it doesn't matter if is it an off the shelf cam or is it a custom cam because if they can tune one they can tune the other.I just don't think as a rule of thumb custom cams have to be tuned by a Pro. That being said tuning is not for everybody.As far as HPT tune bins if you are willing to search to find a set up close to yours you can use it as a starting point for the tune of a custom cam. Because in all reality that's what you would be doing if you had a ms4 or another off the shelf grind. Finding a tune and tweaking it for your car. Keep in mind this is based on the idea that the guy specing the cam is not a hack.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well if you are finding similar tunes that someone did and tweaking it I don't think that you will know how to tune a car without one of those crutches and making peak/optimum performance.

Which leads me back to my first point if you aren't going for a certain goal, number or willing to spend for the tune then why pay the extra money for the custom cam.

You can find a new cam in the classifieds for alot cheaper then new and save some cash.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Well if you are finding similar tunes that someone did and tweaking it I don't think that you will know how to tune a car without one of those crutches and making peak/optimum performance.

Which leads me back to my first point if you aren't going for a certain goal, number or willing to spend for the tune then why pay the extra money for the custom cam.

You can find a new cam in the classifieds for alot cheaper then new and save some cash.
WoW! You were then one that posted it was so easy for someone to find help tuning a off the shelf cam from the bin's. I just suggested the same thing was possible with a custom cam. I hate to break this to you but having a custom cam and tuning it or having it tuned is not some black art that costs thousands of dollars.My point is custom or off the shelf they both need to be tuned, be it by someone with HPT or a Pro.Having it tuned by a Pro will that teach you how to tune or get peak/optimum performance? I think not.You are correct if talking about lots of used off the shelf cams in the classifieds ever wonder why? Maybe they weren't happy with the results?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guys, I think a lot of the issues tuning 'custom' or 'off-the-shelf' cams has more to do with the amount of cam overlap one has to deal with vs the actual cam designation.

So, if a tuner has a lot of experience getting cams with ample overlap to idle and generally run well at part-throttle and WOT, then the actual cam designation is really not that significant.

Having spent the last 1 1/2 years learning to tune my own vehicle (EFILive) I am not sure I would ever be happy with anyone else's tune.

But for the OP, it sounds like just starting with a 'milder' aftermarket cam and a 'base' tune would give him the least grief.

There are a lot of good points in this thread, but we probably agree that most people that choose unique cams will either seek out a great tuning shop or do it themselves.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 12-17-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys have done a gread job with the original question although it did take a few turns but that's what makes it interesting. Anyone reading this thread will come away with some good information.

Quick Reply: Custom Cam or Shelf Cam?