Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible bent valve?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible bent valve?

Im in the middle of doing a cam install and one of the exhaust valves is really hard to move up and down even after I pulled the valve seal off. And when I pulled the valve seal there was a little bit of gunk under it, so is it possible that there is some crap stuck between the valve and guide? I can move it up and down, but it takes some force. If I pull it up there is no way it will fall down like the others. Its hard to push up and down and spin. The car has 40k miles on it and was running fine, no issues. Now im worried that I bent the valve when I unseated the keepers What to do
Old 12-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

humm thats odd, i know mine were not like that it should move freely like how you said. did you use the TDC method for holding up the valves right? from what it sounds like a bent valve is possible in your case. it is ok for the seals to have a little of black gunk on them, but if you had alot then try cleaning the valve guide by spraying some brake cleaner and putting oil on it.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

ya I used the tdc method. this is probably my 20th cam install and have never had a problem with it. hopefully there is just some crap in there that will work itself loose.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean01
ya I used the tdc method. this is probably my 20th cam install and have never had a problem with it. hopefully there is just some crap in there that will work itself loose.
yea man goodluck hopefully its not a bent valve, i used the TDC method as well and it worked great for me even with a couple stuck locks
Old 12-10-2009, 03:01 AM
TECH Addict

If you mean you are worried that when you tapped the retainer to free the keepers you bent the valve, I would think that is not very likely. Considering how the valve is retained over a good portion of its length by the guide (and valve stems are pretty stout), you'd have to hit it really hard to bend it .

I think you just have a tight clearance from the factory and some gunk on the stem. I would button it up with a high degree of confidence that you'll be fine.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Thanks daddyss, I just got done with all the valve springs and found that quite a few of the exhaust valves were sticky. They all had a bit of crud under the valve seal. I cleaned it up good with some wd40 and worked the valves up and down untill they all moved like butter So all is well
Old 12-10-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sean01
Thanks daddyss, I just got done with all the valve springs and found that quite a few of the exhaust valves were sticky. They all had a bit of crud under the valve seal. I cleaned it up good with some wd40 and worked the valves up and down untill they all moved like butter So all is well
Excellent, glad you got it squared away.

Quick Reply: Possible bent valve?