Sponsored by:

May have hurt shortblock Pics Inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:07 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default May have hurt shortblock Pics Inside

So this summer my car has always smelt like it was burning oil. I never really noticed a drop on the dipstick but whenever I got on it, and let off I could smell birning oil. Also, at idle I was getting a little smoke out the tailpipes. Needless to say, I tore the engine down and found that the #7 hole was pretty nasty, I have put maybe 3k miles on this setup over the past 4 years.

Setup is as follows, HS rockers, ported 853 heads, Cometic gaskets, Diamond forged pistons, lunati rods, stock crank. This is just a little 347 engine. \

I can't notice any damage on the ringlands now, but I was wondering if there was any way to pull that piston and check the lower ring lands for damage without needing to do any machine work or pulling the engine, I don't mind droping the k member and suspending the enige with a cherry picker. Also, the head gaskets don't seem to seal very well, I put three coats of copper spray on them before I put them on originally. Below are pictures of what I found when I pulled the heads. Any advise would be great.

Pass Side Head, #2 on top

Pass Side Engine

Driver Side Head, #1 on top

Close Up of #7

Driver Side Engine

More Drivers Side

Thanks

Last edited by yak; 12-20-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: I can't type
Old 12-20-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On #7 the problem could be the valve seals. I would remove the valve springs and give it a careful look for leaks there.

Also depending on the head porting if the rocker bolt holes have been exposed in the ports you could leak oil from there. Did you use sealant on the rocker bolts when you installed them?
Old 12-23-2009, 03:48 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Tore it down, bad news. All the ring lands were still good, but the rings were trashed and the thrust side of the piston skirt is scuffed pretty bad on all holes. everything's at the machine shop now getting measured so we can figure out what happened. Both myself and the machinist are thinging the piston was too tight in the bore. Rod bearings were in pretty bad shape too, but the main bearings looked fine. Looks like it might be time to go really fast.....
Old 12-23-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

383 said the Christmas Ferry
Old 12-23-2009, 04:28 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

yeah, the cubes would be fun, but man I really want to see what this thing would run when it wasnt hurt and with the right exhaust/intake. I went 11.3 with pacesetter LTs and a LS6 intake. I'd be willing to bet it could have gone 10.8x on nuts and bolts with a fast intake and kooks LT's when the bottom end is fixed up. But that gets me thinking, how fast can I go with more cubes