Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of valvetrain questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Lots of valvetrain questions...

I finally purchased a set of aftermarket heads, and I am wanting to make sure that I get everything installed properly!

Questions:

1. What is the first order of business; pushrod length, PTV, valvewipe?

2. What is the easiest way to find pushrod length?

3. What is the easiest way to find PTV clearance?

4. How do I properly set up my yella terra rockers? If I need shims what are people using and where to get them?

I have used search and have read through sevaral post, I just want get everything straighten out from start to finish. I want to start to gather the items need to check all of this and give it a shot.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

See below. Here's how to set them up: Link

I also did a write-up on measuring for pushrod length.

Originally Posted by transam69230
I finally purchased a set of aftermarket heads, and I am wanting to make sure that I get everything installed properly!

Questions:

1. What is the first order of business; pushrod length, PTV, valvewipe?

First, assuming you are not doing a cam, is the measure for PTV before installing the heads. Valve stem wipe will come later and then pushrod length after that.

2. What is the easiest way to find pushrod length?

Buy an adjustable pushrod for around $20.

3. What is the easiest way to find PTV clearance?

Since the heads are off, I prefer using a dial indicator. Others prefer clay but it is less accurate. If using MLS gaskets, use your old gasket for installing the head for measurements. If 0.040" Cometic, there is another way.

4. How do I properly set up my yella terra rockers? If I need shims what are people using and where to get them?

Shims come with them but I and several others have found that special thickness was required. I got mine from McMaster-Carr once I found the correct thickness.

I have used search and have read through sevaral post, I just want get everything straighten out from start to finish. I want to start to gather the items need to check all of this and give it a shot.