Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with heads an cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with heads an cam swap

I was gonna ask you guys what combo to go with that has proven high hp numbers.The car is an 01 SS M6 and i plan on 4.10 gears LT/ORYand a loudmouth exhaust and the other normal bolt ons but my problem is deciding on heads and cam and there is not money falling off trees around here so i want to get it right the first time.I like the idea of the fast intake and a TREX or magicstick 4 cam. I like the big choppy idle of these cams. Are these good cams for my car and what head would go good with these cams. I also plan on a dyno tune after the install. This car is for the weekend and may be DD only now and then.PLease help
Old 01-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Come on guys iam ready to spend some money and i need help.Also who should get to do the install and dyno tune in the va./nc.area. 24586 is my zip
Old 01-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We need more info on your goals. I offer custom cam and heads packages but we need mot information about your goals and budget
Old 01-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Teching In

I would like to be in the 450 hp range the more the better.My budget is in the 3000-3500 range. I do alot of stoplight to stoplight cruising so it needs to be dependable I also have to drive a ways to all the dragstrips and cruis-ins in my area.Can i have this completed for this budget?
Old 01-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SmkSho
I was gonna ask you guys what combo to go with that has proven high hp numbers.The car is an 01 SS M6 and i plan on 4.10 gears LT/ORYand a loudmouth exhaust and the other normal bolt ons but my problem is deciding on heads and cam and there is not money falling off trees around here so i want to get it right the first time.I like the idea of the fast intake and a TREX or magicstick 4 cam. I like the big choppy idle of these cams. Are these good cams for my car and what head would go good with these cams. I also plan on a dyno tune after the install. This car is for the weekend and may be DD only now and then.PLease help
I have the T-rex cam in my car, i share my thoughts alone on this cam.

its definitley got that big cam rumble, the whole car shakes and your gearshift will jump side to side. its pretty gutless anywhere below 2700 rpm (to be expected due to its size) past about 3100 rpm its starting to wake up, and once your past 4000 its like a light switch. Its also somewhat of a hog regarding fuel.

as for tuning i got mine done with a SD tune which i was told helps driveability. My friend has a '98 with the same cam, and his surges something fierce below 2300 rpm, mine however is right on the brink @ 1600 ( have had to ***** foot it past cops heh )

your aftermarket cylinder head choice is limited without flycutting. im going with the PRC 1.0 LS6 heads as they are the same dia. valves and arent milled.

this cam really only shines up top. i myself am in the process of upgrading any "weak links" in the LS1 platform, with regard to high RPM. rod bolts, rocker arms, and i had also replaced the lifters to LS7 as i have heard stock LS1 lifters dont dig high lift ( my logic behind the LS7 was that they managed to handle 24 hours of Le Mans so they must be tough)

you will need dual springs, titanium retainers and hardend push rods.

This is just me though...

others with more experience might be able to explain better/different choices