Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highflow water pumpquestion.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Highflow water pumpquestion.

Was wondering if I got a highflow water pump what would it do? Will it keep tempatures down or what help me out fellas?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:53 AM
TECH Junkie

if its not overheating now...i don't think it will do much.

my Mez EWP keeps temps nice and low, but its got a 160stat.

but sitting still it still is determined by the fan settings. and the pump puts out 55gmp of flow even at idle, more than stock at higher rpm.

i actually need to change to a higher stat. with the bypass holes required for the pump, and cooler temps i was seeing temps a little too low for me. i generally shoot for mid 170s while cruising. but i was seeing low 160s in 50deg weather.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea that's what I gotta do then,I'm tired of the high temps.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It will move more water, the question is does your radiator and fan setup have the ability to remove the heat? Why are you considering more flow? Also, as sidebars, the stock pump will pump more than the Meziere above 5,500 RPM so depending on how you use your car that is something to keep in mind. Also, the stock pump at higher RPM pushes more flow to one side then the other.

What pump are you considering?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

i thought the mez flowed more....this is the 55gpm street version...not the race version.

either way... most cars don't spend enough time above 5500rpms to make that much difference.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unless you have a 98 your temp gauge could have been a lite. Just aren't accurate. Have you tried a radiator additive? They claim to drop your temp by as much as 30 degrees. Royal Purple makes Purple ICE But here a link to the one I know people use and have had great luck with. http://mymizu.com/miracoadice.html
Old 01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
It will move more water, the question is does your radiator and fan setup have the ability to remove the heat? Why are you considering more flow? Also, as sidebars, the stock pump will pump more than the Meziere above 5,500 RPM so depending on how you use your car that is something to keep in mind. Also, the stock pump at higher RPM pushes more flow to one side then the other.

What pump are you considering?
I would stay with the stock one ,I just want to be atleast 165 degrees.
I wanted to ask you fellas do they have a good radiator that would wieght less an cool better?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk_Ws6
1st why do you want your car to run so cold?
Even if it is cruising temp it is still too cold, mid 170s is what you want.
Have you done a thermostat change yet 160* and added some water wetter.
If you have not try that before investing in something you might not need.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teke184
i thought the mez flowed more....this is the 55gpm street version...not the race version.

either way... most cars don't spend enough time above 5500rpms to make that much difference.
From what I found, the Meziere street pump (the 55 gpm version that I also run) outflows the stock pump until about 5500 RPMs, at which point the stock pump finally flows more (although I think it starts having cavitation issues at some point). That's the problem with the Meziere - the pump flow is fixed compared to a mechanical pump that varies with engine RPM, but that's also a benefit - it flows a ton of water at idle, helping keep things nice and cool provided you can effecienty transfer the heat with the radiator.

Originally Posted by Blk_Ws6
I wanted to ask you fellas do they have a good radiator that would wieght less an cool better?
As stated, 165 is too cold to run these engines. To an extent, cooler water temps and higher oil temps provide the best performance...if the engine doesn't get a chance to get hot enough, though, your oil won't ever reach the proper operating temps to boil off any condensation that eventually finds its way in there from natural heating and cooling of the entire system when you leave the car parked.

A good radiator that weighs less? Probably not gonna happen...even if the core weighs less than stock (which probably isn't gonna happen), an upgraded radiator will hold more fluid, and that means extra weight. I have a BeCool radiator on my car - it holds a lot more fluid, the core is larger, and the side tanks are aluminum instead of plastic. It isn't vastly heavier than the stock radiator when comparing empty weights (based on my unscientific "pick 'em both up" measurements), but if I remember correctly, it held about an extra gallon of coolant.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

I just bought and installed the Meizer EWP, it comes with a factory 185 stat already installed. It seems to work just fine as far as the cooiling. Install was mighty easy. I digitally watch my temps, cruising 170-185, sitting in traffic never gets above 200. But I think my fans don't come on till 195 anyways. Great investment IMO O BTW I cut my old thermostat out of the neck. my skinny *** I could not create enough pressure to move it. Dremel works wonders.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

I think you have another problem than the stock pump unable to keep up. Perhaps it is failing and not working as well as new? I say this because my block is filled up to the bottom of the water pump ports with Hard Blok and my stock water pump keeps it so cool it has a hard time getting up to temperature with the stock thermostat. It usually gets to 186° during normal driving and just stays there.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
I think you have another problem than the stock pump unable to keep up. Perhaps it is failing and not working as well as new? I say this because my block is filled up to the bottom of the water pump ports with Hard Blok and my stock water pump keeps it so cool it has a hard time getting up to temperature with the stock thermostat. It usually gets to 186° during normal driving and just stays there.
I would think the worst that would happen is that a seal would fail - there isn't much else to fail with a water pump. If a seal was going, he would have probably noticed coolant spewing out of the weep hole.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Was your coolant system emptied or flushed right before this overheating problem started?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by teke184

No, as stated its the other way around. That's why I said depending on how he uses the car. For street and occasional drag the Meziere is fine but if you do any track time (road race) the Meziere can be an issue due to the lower flow at higher RPM. If the OP is having cooling issues with the stock pump then there may be reasons other then the pump itself and those should be sorted out first.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by vettenuts
If the OP is having cooling issues with the stock pump then there may be reasons other then the pump itself and those should be sorted out first.
I agree. An electric water pump is not used to improve cooling; it is used to remove the parasitic drag from the belt on the stock water pump.

Search this Thread