Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connecting Rod Length?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting Rod Length?

Im getting ready to build a forged shortblock for my TVS to go on.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage going with a forged stock length connecting rod? I will be using a stock stroke crank. My thinking is with the shorter rod, that would put a little more material at the top of the piston? Or do they compensate the difference in lengths with the placement of the wrist pin?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you get longer rods you will have to get different piston, as they move the placement of the wrist pin. The advantage of longer rods is that they increase dwell time at TDC
Old 02-01-2010, 09:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

It also changes the rod/stroke ratio and doesn't put as much side load on the piston. Don't worry about piston compression height (piston pin location) with a stock stroke crank because there is plenty of room with the tall decks of LSx engines. Stock rods are already pretty long at 6.098". The average aftermarket rod is 6.125" and they make a 6.200" rod as well. On a stock stroke a 6.200" rod will work perfectly fine and still keep plenty of space between the pin and piston top.

Just for reference the compression height of stock pistons is 1.338". Most engine builders like to keep the compression height no lower than 1". So with that said you could go with a 6.200" rod and still use a 1.236 compression height piston to place it exactly where your stock pistons are located with reference to the block deck surface.

Quick Reply: Connecting Rod Length?