Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve stem question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default valve stem question

ok i am more just checking to make sure i am right....i have a set of LQ9 heads that sat for about 3 years.....then i put them on my motor not thinking to replace the valve stem seals. i put them on and the car is smoking like crazy! so i am thinking it is the valve stem seals. i pull the intake and look down in the intake port and see about 2cc's of oil sitting on the top of the valve in the head. it was fresh oil not any kind of burn't oil. so the only way i am thinking the oil could be getting into there is through the valve stem seal....correct?
Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a good possibility but if its smoking like crazy under many conditions, either the intake ports are cracked under the spring pockets or the guides are worn out. Bad valve stem seals alone will not cause a large amount of smoke. They usually show themselves on start-up and after a high speed run where there is high crankcase pressure and high intake vacuum.

Shane
Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, i dont think the heads are cracked....not sure....but there is almost an even amount of oil in each intake port. i will take a look at the spring pockets to see if i see any hair line cracks or anything like that. thanks for the help i see what happens tonight when i put it back together.