Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gaskets backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gaskets backwards?

Today i went to a local dealership to pick up some head gaskets for an upcoming head swap. From the ls1howto site it lists the drivers side gasket as GM PN #12558809 and the pass side gasket as GM PN #12558810. The gaskets i picked up are backwards!! The GM PN #12558809 has "front" inscribed on the right side of the gasket when facing up and the GM PN #12558810 has "front" inscribed on the left side of the gasket when facing up. Which one is incorrect the ls1howto website or the gasket? The part number is also inscribed on the gasket itself so i highly doubt its the gasket thats incorrect... Give me some feedback please, thanks.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:48 AM
Launching!

There is only ONE way to install the gaskets. Don't worry about which part number goes where. Install them with the "front" and "this side up" in the correct orientation and you will be fine. JMX might have his info backwards, but i'm sure it was an honest mistake. How much did you pay for them at the dealer? My local dealer could not get the head gasket set all by itself so I went to Scoggins Dickey and paid about $35.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:04 AM
wrencher

The right & left #'s got mixed up, no biggie,just install correctly per gasket indicators.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:10 AM
Teching In

I had to pay $60 at the dealer!! OUCH!! I want to do this install this weekend and it was my only option. I couldn't get a set shipped to me in time from an online dealer due to the whole christmas turmoil with shipping. I'll make sure i observe how the old gaskets were placed before i take them off to make sure i put the right gaskets on the right side. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Head gaskets backwards?