Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Gasket kit to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Gasket kit to go with?

Hey guys, I have a quick question. Im just about to install some heads and a cam in my 5.3. I was wondering which gasket kit I show order from Texas Speed?

Should I get the Basic Heads a Cam Gasket kit which includes head gaskets, head bolts, GM water pump gaskets, GM timing cover seal, GM front seal, and GM harmonic balancer bolt.

Or Should I get the Deluxe Kit which includes timing cover gasket, valley cover gasket, oil pump o-ring, balancer pulley bolt, pair of exhaust manifold gaskets, pair of water pump gaskets, front crankshaft seal, intake manifold gasket set, pair of valve cover gaskets, cylinder head gaskets, cylinder head bolts, EGR gasket, and EGR manifold gasket.

I guess what im getting at is am I safe to reuse some of the gaskets and go with the Basic Kit? or is the Deluxe kit pretty much necessary?

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The deluxe kit is more for a rebuild. If this is a running motor and you're just doing a cam and heads swap, then get the basic kit. If you are also changing the oil pump, add a oil pickup o-ring to your order too. Make sure you get the kit with the right head gaskets (5.3 in your case).
Old 02-12-2010, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The basic kit will get you fixed up. Intake, valve cover, exhaust manifold, etc. can all be reused when putting the motor back together. The basic kit comes with everything you NEED to replace. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Jon
Old 02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, will get that ordered up today.