Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad head gasket or what

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad head gasket or what

i have 98z 72000 miles on it couple months ago changed wires and basically everything went to change the pcv and the grommet broke so i just rigged it together with some hose and a valve that allowed me to get everything together and for the car to run. checked at the dealer and you have to buy the whole assembly like 120 bucks so i basically just forgot about it till now. the other day i noticed my oil pressue was kinda low i check the stick i has rust all up it i open the fill cap and there is like water droplets all over it and some milky junk and to me there is a sweet smell i did a search and saw other people caps who have the same thing so my question is it a head gasket or is it condensation and the fact i mcgyvered the pcv system oh and i have a low temp thermo and i dont drive it far so i doubt alot of the time the oil gets real hot,car never gets overheated and still runs same temp and as far as i can tell i havent lost any coolant. i never had a prob till i screwed with that stupid valve so any thoughts would be great thanks
Old 03-02-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, most likely not a bad HG. The milky substance is just condensation from the oil not getting hot enough to burn it all out. Just take it for a nice trip 1hr or so and then check it, it will most likely all be gone.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Launching!

If it is a head gasket change it asap, I had a leak in my head gasket on the passenger side, hydra-locked and broke a rod and punched two holes in my ls1 block. That makes for a bad morning. I wasn't even driving it ,it happened on start up after sitting for four days.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Condensation

+ 1 on what bjamick said.

Be sure your pcv is working and you have the correct pcv valve in there.

If the pcv is not working properly ie not enough air flow, that will cause more condensation .
Old 03-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Teching In

i doubt the pcv valve is working right like i said i rigged it with a generic one just to keep it running and i didnt have the prob before that. so the pcv not working right will cause a lot of condensation? never had a bad head gasket before but i know the car does not get hot, i havent noticed any coolant lossbut i do loose a little oil pressureonce the car warms up im assuming from the water in it. ok stupid question basically the pcv gets the condensation out of the engine right and if mine is not working right its just building up? thanks guys
Old 03-03-2010, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

the pvc being rigged may not allow the engine to breath.
busted head gasket will also show the oil dipstick being overfilled.
can you change the oil and notice any water-oil mix?

radiator coolant low?
man thats about all i know to check, with the symptoms you have
im limited knowledge i guess