Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheapest way to rebuild a ls1

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheapest way to rebuild a ls1

what would be the easiest way not necessarily the cheapest way to rebuild a ls1...how much would i be spending on a rebuild..i have a cam already...i plan on using all my parts on my current motor...
Old 03-07-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can reuse the crank and rods but the bearings, rings, seals, and pistens should be replaced. You dont need to get forged pistens either you could save money there but alot would depend on how much machine work is needed on the block, crank, and rods. I got a quote for a stock rebuild on my ls1 and it was $1800 only replaceing the things i mentioned but the block and crank needed a bit of work. With forged rods and pistens it was only $2600.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately have to stick with stock type parts, or used parts, and you take a chance of getting burned on used parts,,, ask me how I know!!! I have seen crank kits with bearings for around 200 dollars, Or it cost around 200 to have yours turned down to size. reuse rods, have to get new pistons, of course, plan on about 150.00 on new gaskets, and then you come to the block, having it honed is not that expensive, if Honing is all it needs, thats a big maybe. Having the rotating assembly balanced, count on at least 200$. I have seen a few new LS1 blocks go on ebay for around 500 bucks for the bare block.
If you are looking for the cheapest way out,, I would tell you this, buy a running engine that you have heard run and know to be stable, Or buy a used short block and put your stuff on it, You run the risk of being burned, OR you may get just what the seller says a good shortblock, I seen an LS6 shortblock with 40k miles go on this site for 800 bucks, Hard to beat that.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i plan on using my motor, just refreshing the motor to get it running like it was when i first got it...an maybe a cam and ported heads...
Old 03-08-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles are on it?

Reuse block, crank, rods, etc
New pistons, rings, gaskets, seals, head bolts, bearings, lifters, valve springs
Hone block, deck block?, polish/balance rotating assembly, clearance bearings, gap rings
Old 03-08-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Texas Speed or Scoggin Dickey...
Old 03-08-2010, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Are you rebuilding the motor or just installing heads and a cam. How many miles on the motor? is it burning oil or low compression? I just did a heads cam install on a well taken care of motor with 70000 miles and it runs great. If you got good compression leave it alone. Replace the oil pump, timing chain, heads, cam, new bolts, gaskets, fluids and roll on. I bought heads cam package with all the bolts and gaskets, timing chain and oil pump for about 3000.00 shipped to my door step from Texas Speed. Also installed full exhaust, converter, ls6 intake, ported tb and a full tune for a grand total of around 7000.00. I don't think cheap and LS1 go together. Good luck with the build.

Quick Reply: cheapest way to rebuild a ls1