Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine issues please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine issues please help

Alright here we go. New transmission installed in november of 09. Right after that there was an almost crackling/vibration noise. The car ran fine. Shifts fine and everything. Then 6 days after the install the car dies going down the road at about 45mph. Throw it into neutral and tried to start it. Very hard start like timing is way off. Well it finally started but no rpm gauge reading for about 30 seconds. It did this several times on the way to the house. So i parked it and it sat for a couple weeks and i changed the cam position sensor and crankshaft sensor. Ran great for another 6 days of just easy driving back and forth to work. I have a heat shield rattle i know of but i also started hearing a rattling/ high pitched clank from around the tranny or bottom end area. Well today it started doing all the cutting off and hard starting and clunking again. Check all grounds and also tested battery and alternator. All seems fine. I am at a loss for what it could be. the tranny and tc are brand new. The rpm gauge cuts off for seconds at a time when starting from a cut off also. If anyone can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the wiring on the cam sensor as the tach gets it's reading from there.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Teching In

all the wiring is fine. I checked it throughly when i put the new cam sensor on. is there anything else that could cause the stall out. Maybe a foul spark plug causing issues or anything?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 PM
9 Second Club

Check the crank sensor its by the starter. It could be bad or you could have a wire exposed or pinched
Old 03-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Teching In

i will check those wires and sensor tommorow. Could a pinched wire or bad crank sensro cause the stalling and the almost clunk noise i hear? sounds like a rod knock but very weird to start right after a new tranny install. car has never had nitrous or any power adder.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A cracked flexplate could maybe explain the noise but not the cutting out. Two seperate issues maybe???