Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Oil Pressure problem *with update*

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Oil Pressure problem *with update*

Okay, so I'm having a hell of time figuring out this problem on my 2001 Camaro SS with 155k on it.

I've owned this car since it was new and never had an oil pressure problem until about Oct. or Nov. of last year.

When it first started, the engine would not build up oil pressure for 2 to 4 seconds. Then right away it would shoot up to about 25 psi while idling. Then, depending on temp and rpm would fluctuate anywhere from 10 to 35 psi after.

So I talked to a guy I used to work with at a Chevy dealer and he suggested dumping the 10w 30 oil that I was running and put in full synthetic 5w 20. So I did and it seemed to fix the problem right way. Start up oil pressure was right around 40 psi.

Now, just under 3,000 miles later and three months later, it's doing the same thing it was before, ticking for about 3 seconds with no pressure then acting the same way it did before while driving, between 10 to 35 psi depending on temp and rpm.

I don't know what to consider anymore. I can't imagine it is a pump issue if the problem was cured after an oil change.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Graciebarra; 10-30-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Teching In

I don't know if this will help as well.

I have had a huge oil leak coming from what appeared to be the back of the valve cover on the passenger side of the motor. Even after replacing the gaskets, it leaks from up high in the same spot.

If I'm not mistaken, the oil pressure switch is near the back of the intake?

If so, and it is leaking bad, could it cause this problem as well?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace your Oil Pressure Sender Unit. You will have to remove your intake manifold to get to it as it sits underneath the manifold and threads into the back of the block. Not a terible change, 1st time took bout an hour (b/c it takes a lil finesse to get it off the 1st time) but once you have it down u can swap manifolds in under 30 min. ls1howto.com has an excellent article on removing your manifold. When I put my LS6 intake in my sender was cracked but not leaking which was making my oil pressure gauge jump around all the time, also if it is leaking it leaks pretty badly 40psi's worth of oil shooting out the top of ur block (and ALL over EVERYTHING including the exhaust, trans, etc. lol). Being that it is at the top of the back of the motor (if that makes sense) it's hard to tell where the leak is from underneath the car. 90% of the time it's that.

BE SURE to be careful when you put the manifold back on be gentle as to not wreck ur new OPS.

Hope that helps
Old 03-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Teching In

oil pressure sender, definitely
Old 10-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Okay, after months of on and off problems, I have come to find that the rear main has been leaking the most... the lifter valley gasket was causing the leak on the top, but the bulk from the bottom end.

I was driving for a solid three months with fine pressure and no top end ticking. But... over the past couple weeks now, I've been getting random knocking from the lower end. Needless to say my oil pressure problem has been cause by a spun bearing.. which for some reason corrects itself at times.

None the less, I'm on borrowed time driving this thing. So, what do you think I could get for this car if I sell it now... 158k... but the car is still clean and in great shape otherwise. I could wait for it to play nice again and try to sell it without mentioning anything or just sell it with the problem out in the open.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Does it do this? Almost falls off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJxTVOYiwOI

If so, it could very well be the oil pump pickup tube O-Ring. The vid was my buddy's car after the MS4 h/c swap. Needed a thicker oil pump o-ring.

-=EDIT=-

NVM.. A spun bearing in the bottom end would do it.. I didn't finish reading.

Quick Reply: LS1 Oil Pressure problem *with update*