Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR220-114 in a 6.0.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003 | 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Default TR220-114 in a 6.0.

I really like what I've read about the TR220 in this section.

If my understanding of cams is correct, a cam that acts one way in one engine, will be a little more mild in a larger displacement engine.

Will that difference be all that great if I'm only going up a third of a liter, to a 366" motor?

Where can I expect peak power to be? (I didn't catch any dyno's on this cam)

Finally, what intervals are you all using on valve-spring changes for these smaller TR cams?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2003 | 02:12 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I think you'll be happy with this cam. I would recommend some sort of tuning (Edit preferred) to getting it running smooth and adjusting your shift points to take advantage of the new found upper end power.
Old 12-31-2003 | 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Tex.

I was originally really leaning towards the 212/218 lower lift Comp Cam, or the high lift version, but wasn't keen on the 115 LSA or the "Good LS6 replacement" statement there. I think it's on the higher side of things for a truck, but.........

Yeah, the cam won't go in until I have Edit and Autotap or EFILive handy... I hope Carputing can get the in-car programming working by late Winter here. I'm not too keen on having to buy the seperate bench cable and doing that routine.

What size cam are you running right now?
Old 12-31-2003 | 02:44 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

My cam is a custom comp. Its larger than the 212/218, but not as large as the TR220. It runs great with tuning. Before I tuned it with LS1 edit, the electric throttle control and low idle speed made it pretty lopey. It would die at idle sometimes. My goal wasn't to make the most HP possible, it was to gain as much power as I could yet keep low end power and still have a tame truck that drove great in traffic and around town. I'm pretty pleased so far.

My cam is on a 114 lsa and if I had my choice, I'd have it on a 115. I don't think you'd lose power with the 115 over the 114, just smooth out the idle some.
Old 12-31-2003 | 04:48 PM
Launching!

I'm going to put one in my 383. It won't make as much power as the larger cams would, but I want something that will be good for a daily driver. For those special occasions I got a nice big blue friend in my trunk. From what I've read people have said anywhere between 12000 to 18000 miles for a valvespring change. What mods have you done to your engine?
Old 01-02-2004 | 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Tex.

The MTI Stealth 1 is a 220/220 ~.580/~.580 115 -- Would you be looking for something like that? It's one I'm still considering.

I hear you on the peak numbers... I'm trying to avoid that too, although I do feel like I'd be making SOME comprimise with a TR220. I'm a real sucker for a lopey cam, so I thinking this would be a decent comprimise for me.

What did you end up with for an idle speed?

-----

Thanks TA98.

I don't have any mods just yet. Well, I've got an intake (tube and lid) hanging around that needs some repairing.

A cat-back exhaust is in the works. Not sure which way I'm headed though. Custom or $750 brand name setup.

Headers will be coming, I just need to check MA laws to see if I can run mid-length tubes. (No cat relocation, but need mods to Y-pipe) I don't believe there are any true long-tubes for trucks.

I'm still up in the air about a stall. Either a 2600 or 3000. I tow, so I'm limited to those two choices. I'll have to see how serious I end up getting with things, or how big of a lowend hole the cam makes.

The cam is the only thing I'm really sure on at the moment, so it'll be the first serious mod to go into the motor.

Quick Reply: TR220-114 in a 6.0.