Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Break-in w/ new clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Break-in w/ new clutch...

Got 'er done and wanted some direction on breaking in the engine and also the new clutch. Read a bunch a that the engine should be put through some paces right away, but the clutch break-in recommendation is baby it... thanks for any experience or advice... want to make the best of this new set-up.
Also, I went with the Royal Purple Break-in oil.... how long/soon should I wait to change it to a dino?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

TTT, im interested in this as well. Im doing a clutch/H/C/gears install together, and so the clutch and gear break-in would preclude me from doing a dynotune right after the install. The cam is small enough to where I think I can baby the car for a few hundred miles to get some miles on the clutch. But what is the best way to go about this?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can still put the engine through varying loads with a new clutch. Just ease up on your shifts and launches. Take it easy. Throttle the engine up and down, varying speeds and loads just as you would on a normal break in. The clutch will be fully seated against the flywheel during this time. The main thing on clutch break in is to not go ape **** on the launches. Don't put it in a go banging gears with it. Allow the flywheel/clutch to mate to one another gradually.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I tortured myself for 500 miles when I put in the McLeod, but it was worth it...since then it's done a ton of 4200 rpm launches.

Quick Reply: Engine Break-in w/ new clutch...