Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid roller 347ci LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:00 PM
8 second mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going solid roller would pick up big with the right parts however the 90mm probably will limit you a bit, with the wrong converter set up it wont work right. i wouldnt recomend the HS rockers. i ran them in my 427 solid set up. 73x / 26x cam, and i cracked about 7 of them in the 100 runs or so on them. i wont be reusing them when i put it back together.
i was on the fence about a solid roller set up. i have a set of dimond pistions flat top with relief sitting in my attic as well as all the lifters etc so if i can find a stock block cheep im thinking about tossing a solid roller forged short block in and go for the stock cube nitrous record again.
i went to solid set up on my 427 and picked up good power and lots of rpm i ran 8300-8500 rpm stock computer hp tuners.

just be sure if you do it you buy the right parts. i used comp lifters and push rods with luck, stock oil system seemed to keep up fine to 8500, never had an oil issue. only issue is you loose some low end, but you can gear for that and realy gain. once i found the sweet spot on valve lash i was good. never had to adjust it. i checked it every other trip to the track and it was always fine. till i noticed some cracked rockers. cracked where the small shaft connects them.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Noyzee
going solid roller would pick up big with the right parts however the 90mm probably will limit you a bit, with the wrong converter set up it wont work right. i wouldnt recomend the HS rockers. i ran them in my 427 solid set up. 73x / 26x cam, and i cracked about 7 of them in the 100 runs or so on them. i wont be reusing them when i put it back together.
i was on the fence about a solid roller set up. i have a set of dimond pistions flat top with relief sitting in my attic as well as all the lifters etc so if i can find a stock block cheep im thinking about tossing a solid roller forged short block in and go for the stock cube nitrous record again.
i went to solid set up on my 427 and picked up good power and lots of rpm i ran 8300-8500 rpm stock computer hp tuners.

just be sure if you do it you buy the right parts. i used comp lifters and push rods with luck, stock oil system seemed to keep up fine to 8500, never had an oil issue. only issue is you loose some low end, but you can gear for that and realy gain. once i found the sweet spot on valve lash i was good. never had to adjust it. i checked it every other trip to the track and it was always fine. till i noticed some cracked rockers. cracked where the small shaft connects them.
Great info, thanks man.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nmass399
The rockers have to be adjusted for lash alot, spinning the engine to 8000 rpm's would not be a good idea for the street and be reliable because things can easily go wrong at that high rpm even with aftermarket valvetrain. Also remember the stock liners can become out of round in the ls1 block.

I dont see the fast intake supporting really high rpm's, now a victor jr. ported would be great for a setup like this. I personally plan on getting the Fast 102mm ported for my setup cause it seems to have bigger runners than the 90mm and the 92mm and looks like it will work great for the rpm's i plan on spinning it. Also it will help with low rpm torque for cruising.

I have to worry about ptv clearance with mine so thats why i am getting the 11 degree heads to help some. I am 99% sure i will still have to flycut the pistons. I plan on using a cam in the high 240's to very low 250's. I am gonna see if Patrick G will spec me out a cam and give me some advice.

Originally Posted by nmass399
I have never ran one so i dont know, only from what i have seen, i would assume a cheaper rocker arm setup would mean they have to be adjusted more often but i dont know.

What kind of rockers would you recommend running other than jesel and T&D and less cost than those two
No offense man, and I hate to make an example of you but this is getting pretty common on this site.

If you are not a tech, please do not try to help..
The problem is a thing called "BAD TECH". Bad tech is the blind leading the blind.
It is people that don't have a clue getting their questions answered by OTHER people that DON'T have a clue. This hurts everyone.

Last edited by KCFormula; 04-09-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Solid roller 347ci LS1?