Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could cause a broken valve guide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could cause a broken valve guide?

I installed a set of Patriot Stage II LS6 heads and a TR224 camshaft and from the get-go the car was smoking like crazy, burning more oil than gas. I suspected either the sealant on the rocker bolts or the valve seals. I started replacing the seals today and went to pull the seal off the #5 exhaust rocker and out it came with about 1 1/2'' of the bronze guide still attached to it.

Pretty sure that solves why the car was smoking, but why the hell did this thing break? Car is a 2000 Z28 with 62k miles, automatic, used for some daily driving and autocross. Car has the above mods with LS7 lifters, Comp 7.4 rods, stock rocker arms, and bolt ons.

Also, since one is broken, what are the chances of finding another? I started on the driver's side and this was the only broken one. I haven't started the passenger's side yet...

How the hell do I get this fixed?

Need beer...

Thanks for reading.
-Aaron
Old 04-11-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If i were you, i would pull the heads, and have ALL the guides replaced. It should cost too much to have a machine shop remove and install new guides. Ive remover quite a few at work, but dont normally put them back in.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Where the heads new or used? How many miles on them?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Update: After pulling the heads I discovered the guide was not broken, the whole guide had actually come loose of its press fit. I initially thought it was broken from the odd angles present on the bottom of the guide, but realized those had come from the CNC work to the head with the guide installed.

So I guess I should rename the thread, what could cause a valve guide to come loose?

The head were lightly used on a 1999 Z28 for about 2k miles. That car is owned by a friend who bought the heads new and at the time he ran the heads had an otherwise stock internal motor.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:15 AM
Staging Lane

Improper geometry of the rocker, stud, pushrod. Or you have a whored out set of heads. You should be able to get oversized guides though.

Quick Reply: What could cause a broken valve guide?