Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 starter help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 starter help!

Got an 03 LQ4, with a truck starter and an ls1 flywheel, to be mated to a T56. Starter bolts up to the motor just fine, but we noticed the engine spinning very slowly, even tho it was supplied with 12 volts. Upon further inspection, we see that the starter gear is kicking in to spin the engine, but is not kicking out when power is taken away from the starter. It binds and actually has to be tapped away from the flywheel with a screwdriver.

I have looked all over the net and can't find any instance where this combination wouldn't work. The 02+ LQ engines supposedly have an identical flywheel to an LS1 in a manual tranny package, so an LS1 flywheel SHOULD mate to this starter just fine. I could maybe guess it needs to be shimmed, but again I can't find anywhere on the net where it does, nor can I logically say it should have them. I don't understand my issue here, and I need you guys' help.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated, as we are halted in our quest to fire this engine up until we can solve this problem.

Thanking you all in advance,

Slamdsdime
Old 04-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna go to the parts store today and get an LS1 starter. Anyone have any insight on this?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen and used shims on older small blocks, but never seen them used on the ls motors....my stock 04 ls1 starter bolted right up to my new (04) LQ9 block with no shims.
I guess it would be worth a try, could be an off casting in the starter body...measure the difference between the new and old starters, and if there is a difference try the smallest shim you can find/ make before installing the new starter. Thay way if not needed you can return it

Quick Reply: 6.0 starter help!