Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would you remove AIR system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why would you remove AIR system?

Dropped my car off last week to have some work done. When I got it back I noticed the AIR system (tubes going to headers) were gone and the flanges were blocked off. I paid extra for those headers a few years back to have the flanges for the air tubes. I asked where the hoses were and he told me he removed them. Im thinking, I wanted those so I woudnt get hassled at state inspection. I could almost understand it the reasoning had it been a smog pump driven by the assesory belt robbing the motor of some power but if its an electric pump thats only on for a few secionds when you start the car, what performance gains am I getting now that the hoses are removed? It escapes me why they removed the hoses. What am I missing here?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your not getting any performance gains. If you don't have cats you don't need the air pump, and it also cleans up the engine bay... Thats about it.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have cats
Old 04-12-2010, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

All the AIR system does is allow a little bit of fresh air (for a very short period of time, 10 or 20 seconds at most) into the exhaust stream to help the cats heat up quicker then its off for the duration of your drive. You shouldn't fail emissions without it, even the visual because the pump is hidden in the front part of the bumper. I think when the EGR is deleted, it throws a red flag on the Visual Inspection.