Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valvetrain tools...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default valvetrain tools...

I need to know what tool/brand I can buy for my valve spring swap when I'm going to do my heads/cam swap?

Also what is that tool you guys use to check for preload?

Sorry for the newb questions. I'm about to tackle this and there aren't really tools I can buy here locally or would know this locally. Heck none of the Brits here doesn't know anything about LS1s.

If you like to throw in some .02 cents on what tools I should get also please chime in.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We use the Comp pushrod length checking tool. Since Crane isnt making their sweet valve spring tool again yet after shutting down and re-opening, I'd go with Tim's Tool (check the tool section a few forums below this one and there's a massive thread about them and you can grab one for a very fair price).

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can get a tool to check the spring forces but I have found that all the new springs I have checked are very close to specifications. Best tool would be a valve spring micrometer and get the installed height from which you can calculate the seat force of the installed spring. However, if you need to modify the seat value you will need a shim set before starting.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got any info where I can buy that stuff?

Basically, I'm getting a cam from EPS -222/226, install a stock 243/LS6 heads, switch the springs to 918s and install the PRs that EPS will supply for me. I'm not doing anything to modify that combo as its pain in the @ss w/ my inexperience and lack of tools I have available to purchase here and have.

I already figured I need new head bolts/ gasket for the heads/a new crank bolt for the crank, I guess new seals for the timing cover? New timing gear and chain, new LS6 oil pump.

I'm still figuring out what head gaskets to use. If I want to raise the compression ratio using a pair of head gaskets what should I buy?

If I do change the compression ratio by using the headgasket thickness do I need to reconfigure my PR length?