Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Life

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Life

I was having a hard time searching for an answer to my thought, and looked threw my old threads I created, so I'm pretty sure I am not reposting my question again.

My last oil change was Dec. 27th. I only have about 2200 miles on the oil. So the question being, the oil has been in the car for 4 months, ok to leave it in for another 2 months or so to atleast get 3k out of it? Or even left in longer?

Plan on sending this oil in for analysis too for the first time.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, u will be fine. with out going in to a long definition of oil life, it doest really matter how long u've had oil, just how much it was used. u can even look at oil and see how for gone it is just by the color. if it is still clear/tan than its good, the blacker it gets the more it was used and ready to be changed.

3 months or 3k miles is just a saying for people who dont check/change their oil regularly. and need a stupid phrase to remember. lol

anyway, im saying the amount of miles/use of the oil is when u know when to change it, not how old the oil is.

unless its over a year old, then i would change it regaurdless. lol
Old 04-26-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, sounds good. I will probably wait till around 3500 to change it then. Been running 5w30 castrol syn the last few oil changes. I could probably go longer than that, but I would just assume with the moisture it'd be pulling out of the air and what not, I rather not go much farther than 3500.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, moisture is a facter too. u'r plan sounds good

no problem.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

I agree on the 3K being for being that don't maintain or check regularly. Don't underestimate the number of people that do not even check their oil level between oil changes. 3 months is important for them simply because they're probably always running 0.5-1.5 quarts low.

For us car fanatics that check it 7 times a week, we can see the quality of the oil pretty well. You also start to get a feel for it based on your driving conditions and how it looks after xxxx miles when you change it.

Of course this is all subjective and at a certain point your oil SHOULD be changed due to moisture and whatnot, but I don't think there are many people that NEED it changed every 3K.

When I bought my Grand Prix, it was brand new and had like 12 miles on it and I changed the oil at 1K and everyone was making fun of me for being paranoid. I changed it not for mileage but because the car had been sitting on the lot for months with little driving and I was worried about the quality of oil in there.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Haha thats nothing. I bought a new Cobalt and changed the oil the moment I got it home. 56 miles on it at the time. I don't know what they use from the factory , so I wanted to know what's in it at all times from the moment I purchased it.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Start running amsoil dude and fugettabout it.