Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much HP From Ported Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hondadream50
mike 98 your club sounds cool.. But im in Ca.. is there any clubs over her you no of? Besides what is the cheapest heads I can get and headers for the most performance for a 2002 z28?
Thanks bro! We are a cool bunch of guys for sure. Too bad u live in Cali. Go with the Patriots or the Absolute's. There both cheap and make great power. As far as headers go. Either the Pacsetter's or the MAC's will be fine.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bowtieman4life
Here is my fear. I see a lot of people running similar cams to my own with Stg 2 heads and barely making 400 rwhp and 375 rwtq. I make 395 rwhp and 375 rwtq thru a 12 bolt w/ 4.11 and stock SS wheels. I made the same power without tuning through my stock 10 bolt w/ 3.42's. I figure that after tuning I would have made b/t 405-410 rwhp and 385-390 rwtq with my stock rear and gears. I fear that after market heads will do nothing fo me. What do you all think.
Might not help much with the small cam. It is hard to sort that kind of info out of the pile of data here. As I noted above, the stock LS1 heads flow better than most of the aftermarket SBC heads. I'm sure that ported heads would help more on a large cam or large inch motor. Unless your money is burning a hole in your pocket, you should probably spend it on something else.

[edit]
Here is another way to look at it - you are making 395 RWHP with a small cam and I am making 355 RWHP with just bolt-ons. Pick a factor, say 15%, and we are talking about 465 FWHP with small cam and 418 FWHP with bolt-ons. Out of a streetable, mild mannered, 346 inch engine that gets 20 MPG in town! This is a danged efficient engine! Just help it get the air in and out. Beyond that, the gains don't come easy.

Last edited by critter; 02-02-2004 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

carl you can make 395 RWHP with a small cam and I am making 355 RWHP with just bolt-ons.. Have you Dynoed your car? What exactly bolt on do you have and what cam is streetlageal and smog legal for cam that will give me 395 rwhp? thanks

steve

Originally Posted by critter
Might not help much with the small cam. It is hard to sort that kind of info out of the pile of data here. As I noted above, the stock LS1 heads flow better than most of the aftermarket SBC heads. I'm sure that ported heads would help more on a large cam or large inch motor. Unless your money is burning a hole in your pocket, you should probably spend it on something else.

[edit]
Here is another way to look at it - you are making 395 RWHP with a small cam and I am making 355 RWHP with just bolt-ons. Pick a factor, say 15%, and we are talking about 465 FWHP with small cam and 418 FWHP with bolt-ons. Out of a streetable, mild mannered, 346 inch engine that gets 20 MPG in town! This is a danged efficient engine! Just help it get the air in and out. Beyond that, the gains don't come easy.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeap, I was also a bit shocked to see that stage 2 only flowed like 15-20 more CFM than stock. All these #'s mean nothing on the track though. It's the whole combo that counts.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

From my research and experience talking with engine builders, the power is all in the heads. A good head porter will also want to know what cam you are using in your set up to take advantage of what you currently have. A lot of 220/220 224/224 cam guys would be suprised just how much power they can make with those cams on a matched up set of heads. Im sparing no expense on my heads, even at the cost of much time and money for my 387 build up. I guarentee it will show. Ill let you guys know when its done.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Scoobie
From my research and experience talking with engine builders, the power is all in the heads. A good head porter will also want to know what cam you are using in your set up to take advantage of what you currently have. A lot of 220/220 224/224 cam guys would be suprised just how much power they can make with those cams on a matched up set of heads. Im sparing no expense on my heads, even at the cost of much time and money for my 387 build up. I guarentee it will show. Ill let you guys know when its done.
i think more people need to take this approach when it comes to the heads they buy.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hondadream50
carl you can make 395 RWHP with a small cam and I am making 355 RWHP with just bolt-ons.. Have you Dynoed your car? What exactly bolt on do you have and what cam is streetlageal and smog legal for cam that will give me 395 rwhp? thanks

steve
No, that was Bowtieman4life who got 395 with his small cam. My dyno is asphalt - 113 mph at 3600#. Pick your favorite calculator and do the math. I have pretty much all the bolt-ons expcept intake - FTRA, lid, K&N, bellows, de-screened MAF, Bauer TB, Pacesetter headers & ORP, !cats, SLP 2OTL catback, !air, !egr, !spare, !jack. Also M6, 12 bolt w/4.10s and Nittos. I ran 116 after the tune, but don't have a slip to prove it, so I quote the 113 mph. IIRC, DA was something like +750 that day.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobie
thats why there are so many heads only cars in the 11's lol

Quick Reply: How Much HP From Ported Heads?