LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine-5/)
-   -   New Valve Springs, now Need New Cam, Lifters, and Valves! wtf?? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1283794-new-valve-springs-now-need-new-cam-lifters-valves-wtf.html)

TS99V6 05-22-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2001 Red Coupe Bandit (Post 13364103)
This shop does lots of Vettes and has been around 10 years. The guy that looked at it and doing the repairs USED TO work at RPM for a long time before they closed.

Ok now I know what shop it is. :D

PontiacFan 05-22-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by TS99V6 (Post 13366813)
Ok now I know what shop it is. :D

Is that good or bad?!?

And just because you know the guys & they're friends of yours, ..., doesn't mean they won't take ya for every buck they can just becasue you don't know any better, ...

TS99V6 05-22-2010 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by PontiacFan (Post 13366922)
Is that good or bad?!?

Like he said they are a really well known and respected shop for the corvette guys. I've never really heard anything bad about them so who knows. :confused:

2001 Red Coupe Bandit 05-22-2010 10:46 PM

Good shop AND I know the guys so I am sure what he told me is true. I am not sure WHY it happened and I know is sounds weird, BUT it can happen and there were some bad cams at one time not hardened correctly.

Also, I SPARYED Nitrous 150 shot 2 weeks before on the dyno twice (It didn't dyno right and was loosing power on the spray and we were all perplexed, thought it was Torque converter, or maybe springs, AND it dynoed low Naturally aspirated and fell off right after the spray hit (see my other post with Dyno sheet) so there was somethign FISHY going on with the car before this popped up a week later . There is a saying if there is something wrong, or about to be wrong, NITROUS will find it. The springs had 22K on them and that was why I went to the shop to get them changed HOPING it was PART of the issue when I sprayed the nitrous.

ALL those Factors above made me NOT suspicious that somethign was indeed wrong. Again, they need to pull everything, but called Me to tell me the Basd News because I THOUGHT I was getting some Patriot Dual Golds installed NOT neededing a new CAM and Lifters and a Valve..............

Thanks for sticking with me on this guys and I am still liek WTF???!!!!! But stuff happens. I KNEW something wasn't right when we dynoed the week before, but thought maybe the springs were the weak link with the additional power and torque from the nitrous caused the springs to NOT hold up properly.

I will have the full report once everything is taken apart. Next choice is the CAM, which one to replace my 228/228 .588/.588 114LSA??????????????

sparkwirez06 05-23-2010 08:33 AM

Did you see the cam and lifters?

2001 Red Coupe Bandit 05-23-2010 08:37 AM

Nope have not

BrianC98Z28 05-23-2010 11:00 AM

RPM in lewisville closed??

2001 Red Coupe Bandit 05-23-2010 02:08 PM

YES, so I am told. Not sure why?

garygnu 05-23-2010 02:33 PM

I have read of some cams not being harden properly in the past 2 yrs.talk to Patrick-G about a cam .

2001 Red Coupe Bandit 05-23-2010 02:36 PM

Thanks Gary! I talked to Patrick-G long ago, very nice cool helpful guy....

Gary..................

2001 Red Coupe Bandit 05-23-2010 02:48 PM

THIS IS a REAL Issue. Lots of this happened in 2005/2006 that is when I got my CAM.

From Comp Cam:

http://www.compcams.com/information/...chBulletin.pdf

Check this guy out. This is WHAT basically happened to me,

"Damon10-15-2004, 10:32 AM
There's a lot of anecdotal evidence of people who have killed Comp Cams at break in. I just had my first cam death during break-in in 20 years of playing around with engines. Guess which cam? Comp Cams XE282 flat tappet. I got a bug up my butt and had the cam hardness tested becuase, like you, I couldn't find that I had done anything wrong with choice or parts, lubrication or proper break-in procedure, and I've installed more than just a couple of cams in my lifetime. The cam was WAY off the bottom end of the scale for hardness. It was a 25 when it should have been up over 50. It was doomed before I ever put it in the engine.

To the good: Comp replaced the cam and lifters under warranty (just on my say-so, not becuase I produced the testing results) and the replacement unit worked just fine with no problems.

I did use Comp's pain-in-the-butt procedure of removing the inner valve springs during break-in and then reinstalling them after break-in was complete on this second cam. However, Comp is the only company that seems to freak out about that and I don't recall ever doing something similar with cams from other companies and like I said, I never had a problem before."

66 BADBOY 05-23-2010 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by garygnu (Post 13370434)
I have read of some cams not being harden properly in the past 2 yrs.talk to Patrick-G about a cam .

Not an LS1, but in a BBC....same thing happened to my friend last year.

Paint_It_Black 05-23-2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2001 Red Coupe Bandit (Post 13370473)
THIS IS a REAL Issue. Lots of this happened in 2005/2006 that is when I got my CAM.

From Comp Cam:

http://www.compcams.com/information/...chBulletin.pdf

Check this guy out. This is WHAT basically happened to me,

"Damon10-15-2004, 10:32 AM
There's a lot of anecdotal evidence of people who have killed Comp Cams at break in. I just had my first cam death during break-in in 20 years of playing around with engines. Guess which cam? Comp Cams XE282 flat tappet. I got a bug up my butt and had the cam hardness tested becuase, like you, I couldn't find that I had done anything wrong with choice or parts, lubrication or proper break-in procedure, and I've installed more than just a couple of cams in my lifetime. The cam was WAY off the bottom end of the scale for hardness. It was a 25 when it should have been up over 50. It was doomed before I ever put it in the engine.

To the good: Comp replaced the cam and lifters under warranty (just on my say-so, not becuase I produced the testing results) and the replacement unit worked just fine with no problems.

I did use Comp's pain-in-the-butt procedure of removing the inner valve springs during break-in and then reinstalling them after break-in was complete on this second cam. However, Comp is the only company that seems to freak out about that and I don't recall ever doing something similar with cams from other companies and like I said, I never had a problem before."

But you don't have a flat tappet cam, you have a roller cam. What happened to him did not happen to you. Having a lower hardness on the cam is still relevant, but the word "fused" should never have been used.

2001 Red Coupe Bandit 05-23-2010 06:52 PM

Paint it Black. YOU are RIGHT. "FUSED" was not a good description from ME. Again I was paraphrasing, but that made it confusing. Yes I have a roller cam, but one or a combination of the hardness, springs, lifters, and valvetrain caused something to go haywire.

"Haywire" is an acceptable descriptive word, but "FUSED" is NOT! LOL

I guess I made it sound liek ti was melted together, but they told me somthing to that effect but it wasn't like welded/fused together or anything.

Bottomline it Sucks for me all the way around!