Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new oil pump with low preasure

Old 05-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new oil pump with low preasure

I recently had a heads cam stall install and a new oil pump slp hd pump from lmp performance and my oil pressure is running around 20 psi at idle and drops a little then when driving it goes to 30psi roughly is that normal and my lifters start making noise like a tapping sound
Old 05-31-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wicked87svo
I recently had a heads cam stall install and a new oil pump slp hd pump from lmp performance and my oil pressure is running around 20 psi at idle and drops a little then when driving it goes to 30psi roughly is that normal and my lifters start making noise like a tapping sound
Yikes!

I just put in a melling oil pump and I'm anywhere around 40-75 psi

I'm no expert but I have done some work on my ls1. It may be that the pump's o-ring seal got pinched. The ticking sound is the hydraulic lifters running without oil. How long has the engine run? If they are new lifters, it will be normal to hear a tick for the first minute or so and should go away once they are filled with oil.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Teching In

The lifters are the origanls and the guy that did the work says the lifters are making noise cause of the pushrods being to short but the heads and cam and pushrods are patriot performance and work togeather and i tuned car after install no noise drove home rocker was loose and was making a knoking noise i took off valve cover and tightened down then drove and saw oil pressure was low and startes hearing the ticking noise after 5 miles of driving and does not make it at start up
Old 05-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Launching!

I just put a TSP ported LS6 pump in mine and got an extra 15lbs of pressure! Hopefully you don't have to tear it back apart, but like stated before it does sound like that o ring failed.. Let us know what happens bro!

Vince
Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wicked87svo
The lifters are the origanls and the guy that did the work says the lifters are making noise cause of the pushrods being to short but the heads and cam and pushrods are patriot performance and work togeather and i tuned car after install no noise drove home rocker was loose and was making a knoking noise i took off valve cover and tightened down then drove and saw oil pressure was low and startes hearing the ticking noise after 5 miles of driving and does not make it at start up
wow... hmmm

1. Original lifters? Those should be replaced during a head/cam swap. Definitely don't want to be tearing out the heads again for a bad lifter.
2. Short pushrods? I would definitely get these re-measured. There is a lot of information on this site for measuring pushrods.
3. Loose rocker? I would be contacting whoever did your build.... When I install rockers I use a little bit of (red) loctite on the threads and torque them to 22ft/lbs.

Unfortunately, none of those help identify the low oil pressure... check out samgm2's post in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-pressure.html

Last edited by LS-1Z28; 05-31-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Teching In

the guy that did the work is going to look at the car saturday and see what went wrong
Old 06-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Well the mecanic did not call me to work on my ride so i taked to a shop and they looked at car and said the oil seal might be the issiue and say there is lifter dammage for sure so i am going to tear down motor and replace lifters and cheack oil seal hopefully nothing else is bad
Old 06-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned Scammer

sounds like you pinced oring

Search this Thread