Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polluter cam install and backfiring!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polluter cam install and backfiring!

Installed cam over the course of 4 weeks with the motor out of the car just for the heck of it. Took 4 weeks cuz of 2 jobs and school. Any way I'm 1000% sure the dots are lined up and everything. I fired the car up and it runs fine when giving it gas but when u let off the rpms drop and don't even try to idle backfires and then dies. It's on the stock tune so could the tune b the problem of could I have cracked/broke plugs or coils on the wrong cylinders? Thanks for any help!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

who did you get this cam from? but mine did idol but it was a bolt on tune...it is prolly fine man, just needs a tune!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine didn't run for crap whenever I first started up on stock tune with MS4. I eventually did get it to idle on its own though. You may have other issues if you cannot get it to idle on it owns. I did not drill TB or mess wet adjustment screw.

Check plugs, etc.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

firing on all cylinders?

mine did that, had a bad wiring harness on the coil pack, coils were good so putting a single new coil didn't help
Old 06-21-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you think it's misfiring finding somebody with a scan tool to read your misfires would help a lot.

Having said that, the polluter is a pretty big cam, and it's not going to run worth a crap without a tune, especially if you're on stock heads.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the PCM needs to relearn the idle w that cam . start it up n keep it running for a lil while then baby it down to idle , it should be ok then. hell my lil baby 228 cam wouldnt idle after I swapped it in. u will def need a tune w that big donkey cam tho, or it's gonna run like ****
Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys!! So y'all think the backfiring is just cuz of no tune? I new I was goin to need one but I was scared that te backfiring was a serious problem!! I'm gettin a mail order tune from pcmforless when he emails me back
Old 06-22-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ilovemywhitepony
Thanks guys!! So y'all think the backfiring is just cuz of no tune? I new I was goin to need one but I was scared that te backfiring was a serious problem!! I'm gettin a mail order tune from pcmforless when he emails me back
yea it's the PCM used to the stock cam. it will smooth out a lil bit once relearned. IMO I would def recommend getting a dynotune n not a mail order tune. 9 times out of 10 ur leaving alot of hp on the table plus, I've seen cars running dangerously lean n the owner never knew it. with that big cam n a mail order tune U can pretty much put ur money on it's going to have shity street manners. if u got the extra $$ for the dynotune do it, its well worth the money
Old 06-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Ight thanks so much guys! I'm not worried bout hp right now I just wnt to be able to fire it up and drive it around for now.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:17 AM
TECH Regular

Ight thanks so much guys! I'm not worried bout hp right now I just wnt to be able to fire it up and drive it around for now.
So then do what the man said and keep the revs up so it can try to learn. Keep it at 1500rpm with your foot for a couple minutes then back off the gas and see it that helps any! If not, then tow it to a tuner near you. Don't waste your money on a mail order tune!!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MR2liter
So then do what the man said and keep the revs up so it can try to learn. Keep it at 1500rpm with your foot for a couple minutes then back off the gas and see it that helps any! If not, then tow it to a tuner near you. Don't waste your money on a mail order tune!!
I installed the polluter a few weeks ago and mine fired right up but would NOT idle for the first 15 minutes without help. I have not had any back fire.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there actually a cam called the polluter cam?
Old 06-24-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Katech
Is there actually a cam called the polluter cam?
Yeah, its a tick performance spec'd cam.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Firgured it out! Hand the coils on the wrong cylinders so wasn't firing correctly.! Noob mistake!! Haha anyway thing has mailorder tube and still won't idle!! Got it to idle once for bout 20 secs but that was it! I'm runnin it without trans and witout accessories! Omg will that thing wrap! I'll let y'all know if I get it runnin.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

i have a polluter cam too and it was a pain in the *** to make it idlle iv worked hard with hptunner and i still need to go to a tunner to fine tune it, but the results are asome!! the idlle is great!! and tork is strong !! great cam!! worthe evrey penny
Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

popping because it is too lean
Old 07-01-2010, 12:21 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Firgured it out! Hand the coils on the wrong cylinders so wasn't firing correctly.! Noob mistake!! Haha anyway thing has mailorder tube and still won't idle!! Got it to idle once for bout 20 secs but that was it! I'm runnin it without trans and witout accessories! Omg will that thing wrap! I'll let y'all know if I get it runnin.
So what did you figure out then? I don't understand how you managed to put the wire on the wrong cylinder. They are short enough to go straight down and thats it.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

I had the coil packs upside down on the head so my coils were on the wrong cylinders
Old 07-02-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

So you went with the mail order tune anyway huh, well if it wont even idle I can imagine how far off it could be on timing and fuel. As mentioned above do not rely on a mail order tune, it is a basic/general tune, its a guesstimate of map programming based on another vehicle similar to yours and thats it, thats not good. You will get much better and SAFER results getting a proper dyno/street tune.

If you go romp on it with that mail order tune and that big of a cam then I wont be surprised when I see you post "Help me figure out why my motor blew up"
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Could be but I'm goin to tune it from here out but I just wanted a good base to start with.

Quick Reply: Polluter cam install and backfiring!