Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best internal engine cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tg580
OK. OP here. I bought the car used 3 years ago. It had 72000 miles on it. I ran a couple of cans of seafoam through it right away. I've changed the oil 3 times using mobil 1 full synthetic. Car now has 77,000 on it and I just tore it down to do some mods. The rockers had so much varnish on them that I had to soak them in brake cleaner overnight then use a wire wheel on a dremel to get the **** off. I changed the heads and the old ones were covered in varnish too. My problem is that every once in awhile after running it hard, I lose oil pressure and the motor starts ticking. It did it before the mods and one of the mods was a new oil pump. I have a couple of people thinking that the oil return may be slightly blocked. I can pull the car over and shut it down when it is doing it and within a half hour the problem has went away. I just put Auto/RX into it last night. The only problem is that they say to run it for 3000 miles. I'll be lucky to see 3000 miles in two years.

You need to go to the auto-rx site and look under application for "fast track". This is for hot rods and low mile vehicles. If I remember its only 1500 miles. The site it full of great info and the product really works if you follow the directions to the t! Also remember varnish is cosmetic. It has no ill effects inside of a combustion engine.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use Pennsoil Platium. Every time its been tore down it been clean.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

to clean the oil touched portion of the engine...just change the oil when it needs it.

for the top end may i suggest a 100 shot? i've never seen anything clean pistons and valves like some good ole n2o haha.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also an auto-rx fan... helped me gain 2-3 mpg after i bought my car
Old 07-06-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by s346k
to clean the oil touched portion of the engine...just change the oil when it needs it.

for the top end may i suggest a 100 shot? i've never seen anything clean pistons and valves like some good ole n2o haha.

Oil DOES NOT clean ring packs and heavy build up. The detergents in oil can clean up some light build up inside of a combustion engine but their main purpose is to prevent deposits from forming in the first place. The only true way to clean carbon and sludge is to use a good additive added to the oil.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Auto-RX FTW, internal. Marvel Mystery oil applied through an inverse oiler to the intake for top end.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

One of the best top engine cleaner you can buy is Lucas fuel system treatment. It cleans and lubricates the top end and is very safe as long as your fuel lines are not rusty inside. The fbody 99-02 fbody is known for rusted fuel lines, gm used bare carbon steel lines. Lucas can really loosen this rust and block the injectors. As long as your system is rust free you won't get a better cleaner and lubricant for the top end.

My 98 Jeep has over 180k miles on it and I used Lucas fuel system cleaner in it for a few months. I had to replace the intake manifold gaskets and when we took the intake off what we saw was amazing. The inside of the intake and cylinder head was clean like BRAND NEW. My nieghbor couldn't beileve it! I'm talking clean like it was scrubbed! http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...iid=26&catid=2

Don't let anyone BS you, this stuff is the real deal and it safe, doesn't smell bad etc....even yer momma will like it. LMAO
Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 AM
On The Tree

I've heard of people saying to put a cup of diesel fuel in with your oil also. Anyone heard of this?
Old 07-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Launching!

use amsoil powerfoam man trust me this works and very very easy to use. i maybe bias cause i use amsoil for everything but i believe that they make great products that really work well
Old 07-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned

I've got a question. How are you supposed to run the Seafoam or any other engine cleaner through your car? Some people have told me to put Seafoam in through the vacuum line, is that the air intake line? Can it go in with the motor oil? I know for a fact you can put it in the gas tank.

Quick Reply: best internal engine cleaner?