Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 vs. LS6 heads and cam to match

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1 vs. LS6 heads and cam to match

Good flow numbers for LS1 Stage 2 heads are what.. 290-305? And about.. 305-320 for LS6 heads? Correct me if i'm wrong, I probably am, but should you go with more lift if you have high flow numbers? Doesn't more lift mean more wear and tear on your cam, lifters and springs in turn creating the need for stiffer springs to prevent valve float and therefore creating more seat pressure and the need for more power to move that stuborn valvetrain?

-How much more power are S2 LS6 heads going to make over S2 LS1 heads? Do LS6 heads only come in 5.7? Would 4.8/5.3 LS1 heads with more compression make as much power as 5.7 LS6 heads with less compression?

-How much more power is the 580ish lift range going to make over the 560ish lift range? Is it really that much worse? What engine and driveability issues would the higher lift bring on? Would you notice?

-How does timing work? You guys say +2 advance and -4 advance.... Doesn't more advance mean higher rpm power and lower advance mean lower rpm power. I thought that was how the LSA worked. Do they work together?

Thanks for any insight- Mike W.