Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with ls1 Main stud kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 12:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with ls1 Main stud kit

I have installed an arp main stud kit on my motor that I am putting back together, and there are no nuts for the windage tray or the oil pickup tube, plus the windage tray has to be modified. This is not really a problem I am just trying to get an idea what other people did. If I am even supposed to use my windage tray with the stud kit? Any help will be great.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-20-2004, 12:43 AM
I can shift faster than you.

You need to drill out the windage tray slightly to fit over the studs. Most definitely reuse it!

Your ARP kit should have came with the necessary hardware. Contact the vendor you purchased them from, or call ARP directly.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

The ARP kit i seen used the studs had to be backed out alittle, instead of the stud bottoming out in the block. When they were bottomed out there was hardly any threads for the nut. Well, then the stud isn't all the way in it feels loose a wiggles alittle. I would seem to think the studs get alot of their strength cause they thread all the way done. Has anyone else using the main studs noticed the studs seem a bit short? Cause i want them instead of the GM bolts, but i didn't like how loose they felt. Please post your experiences.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:22 AM
Teching In

the stud kit on my ls1 is set up kind of like my stock main bolts. you have the shorter studs on the inside and the longer studs that everything bolts to on the out side. If you want i could send you some pics

Matt
Old 01-20-2004, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't have any problems with my main or head studs. They came with all the necessary nuts and washers. I drilled the oval holes on the windage tray, and spaced it up with the thick washers in between. The mains were bottomed out, as were the heads before bolting them down. I used the washers for spacers because of the extra stroke, and it was too close to the crank for my likings.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah my buddies head studs bottomed out until they were snug, like 5ft/lbs. And there was plenty of room for the washers and nuts. But when he installed the main studs and threaded them down all the way and installed the caps there wasn't alot of threads once the washers were installed. But another buddy of mine is rebuilding his motor and he's using the main studs as well. I'll have to see if his threads all the way down. Maybe the threads are longer in some year blocks. The guy that's doing the motor now has a '02 block, so we'll see. If not i'm just going get a new set of main bolts from GM. We have 6 bolt mains, i don't think they're going to break.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackNite383
Yeah my buddies head studs bottomed out until they were snug, like 5ft/lbs. And there was plenty of room for the washers and nuts. But when he installed the main studs and threaded them down all the way and installed the caps there wasn't alot of threads once the washers were installed. But another buddy of mine is rebuilding his motor and he's using the main studs as well. I'll have to see if his threads all the way down. Maybe the threads are longer in some year blocks. The guy that's doing the motor now has a '02 block, so we'll see. If not i'm just going get a new set of main bolts from GM. We have 6 bolt mains, i don't think they're going to break.
yeah if had it to do all over again I would probably go with the factory main bolt kit. I haven't heard of anyone having any problems out of them.

Matt

Quick Reply: problem with ls1 Main stud kit