Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of questions for a first timer with LSx's

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple of questions for a first timer with LSx's

Hey everyone, going to shortly start a mild build on a 59k mile LQ4 that ran like a top and I picked it up for only $300. I want to keep this on a slight budget just because I need to spend some money getting the trans (4L60E built to a 4L65E), getting a new set of axles for my GN rear as well as a 3.73 gear, and getting the headers and mounts for the car as well as accessories and all the little crap I still need.

Basically the engine will be stock bottom end with some either Katech or ARP rod bolts, not really sure if I'm going to need new main studs or not. But I'd like to put an LS6 cam, LS6 springs, LS7 lifters, and LS2 timing chain set in the car. I already have the crossover setup from the guy I bought the block from, and I think I'm gonna pull the plug and get the LS6 intake from him as well.

The engine has 317 heads on it right now, and I'm thinking about taking them off and either keeping them, or selling them and taking that money to get some machine work done.

I want to stick with GM heads and just have a shop do some work to them. A guy at work with his 99' Camaro had a set of 5.3 heads done with a stage 2 port on them on his LS1 and he said the compression is around 10.5:1. I was wondering if I will be able to do the same with a set of 5.3 heads and put them on the 6.0 and maybe get 10.5 or even 10:1.

The next question is, what TB would I be better off with? I haven't gotten a chance to measure the TB that I was given with the engine, but people are saying a P&P'd 75mm TB is plenty for the street?

The car is going to try and be as streetable as possible, and I'm not sure what stall I will need with the Z06 LS6 cam.

What does everyone think? All comments are welcome but please don't say anything about my mother