Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken spring or lifter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken spring or lifter?

Hey guys need some help. I took my car to the track yesterday for the first time and it ran ok while i was there. One the way back i started making a loud knocking noise from the valvetrain on the pass. side. My brother is a mechanic and told me it could be a broken spring,and not bottom end noise . There is no real pattern to the noise but does get louder when rpms are raised. Oil pressure fell to 10 psi right before pulling over. I have started the car afterwards and the oil pressure is above 40 psi but still the noise is there. What can cause this? I removed the valve cover and didnt see a problem but from other pics on this site of broken spring it can be hard to notice so Ill check again carefully.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a broken spring and or rocker arm. The passenger side is easy, just take the valve cover off and check it out. I've broken springs and rockers before and the sound close to the same. Do u have stainless steel valves?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

I ll have to remove the valve cover again to check closely but the rocker arm bolts were tight and didnt look broken, the springs i will look at again. But would that affect oil pressure.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spun bearing will kill the oil pressure. I worked on a 98 that had like a bad lifter sound but it was in fact the rod bearing. I mean something got loose and the clearance got larger some place in order to lose oil pressure.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

oil pressure when own to 10 psi but after sitting about 15 min it when back to normal around 50 psi. the next dayd i started it a couple of times to hear it again and the oil pressure was still normal, although it was only on for a minute or two.