Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me start my 382 Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me start my 382 Project

Hi guys, i currently have a cammed stock shortblock 346 that is in need of a rebuild. Drinking oil like its going out of style. Its been beat on for too long, long before i even got it. Ive got a set of LS6 243 casting heads sitting in my garage. Id like to build a 382 but cannot decide if a Stroker, or an ALL BORE will be my better bet. Also, im not trying to scimp on any parts, but i would like to keep it as cheap as possible. I also want to do it part by part( that way i feel im getting somewhere instead of waiting and waiting and getting frustrated), then have someone put it together for me as my mechanical skills are quite weak.( allthough im dying to learn how.) I just dont want to ***** anything up when this much time and money is on the line.

I currently have a TR224/224 112 cam. I love the drivability of this cam and the power which peaks at 6100 and only falls 4 RWHP from 6100 to 6600. I know this is NOT enough Cam for Stage 2 LS6 heads on a Stock 346 and even will be less so with larger displacement. Im looking for a Cam that will be driveable like the TR224 112 in a 382 Stroker, yet still make more tq and compareable HP to wild 346 Head Cam set ups. I was thinking 230/236 ??? Can it be done? is that too small? I want people to hear the cam, but i want driveability. Someone please lead me to a shop that can perhaps meet my goals of building a 382 stroker or all bore ( depending on which one you think would be better for mainly a street cruiser, occasional track visit car) Remember, im not trying to win trophies at the track. I just want to have a reliable, fun and fast build up for the street and occasional track visits. After the motor is done, i will most likey drive it to car shows and even do some Road racing as its a 1lE with a fine suspension.

Im in this game because i love the Camaro and i greatly enjoy the people who share this hobby. Theres just so much joy in driving one of these cars when set up the way you want to a function, track or car show. thanks for the help and happy driving.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the lg g5x2 or 3 would be a good cam for a 382. Less cost in the stroker as the block only needs minimal machine work, and the ealge cranks bring the cost of the rotating assembly down 1k.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Strokers motors don't need to rev so high to make their power, I think a g5x2 or x3 wouldn't exactly be the friendliest daily driveable cam for ya. Unless you like to change valve springs often.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Scoobie, I'm new to this board and new to the LS1 too, but I've been hot rodding since 1960. I chose the Eagle 4" stroker and the Patriot Performance Stage II heads for my build for the performance potential and price. I don't know just what cam you might be pleased with, but I've decided to go with a custom to suit the heads. The block will be in the machine shop for prep tomorrow and the parts will start comming in within a couple of weeks. I already seeing reliability issues posted here, but that's always the way with modified engines. Just live through it and take care of business without getting worried about bad choices (you'll make 'em!). There are a lot of great sites and companies out there to give you help with your choices - talk to them and be realistic. This is the best of times. The companies out there feature performance AND reliability. I can remember when they just sold snake oil (before Vipers and Cobras ) Good luck to us both!

Last edited by TeeKay; 01-26-2004 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:59 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 382 that MTI did, it had the B1 cam, which was way too small, now it has the X1 cam, which is great. I would go with as much cam as the heads will allow, just have it ground on a 114 and it will idle fine. Mine is an auto with mild stall and runs mid 11's on raidals with a race weight of about 4000 lbs and 3.23 gears. X1 cam in my car idles like stock, no surging, etc.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:28 AM
PSJ Wannabe & Attention Whore

pm sent

Originally Posted by Scoobie
Hi guys, i currently have a cammed stock shortblock 346 that is in need of a rebuild. Drinking oil like its going out of style. Its been beat on for too long, long before i even got it. Ive got a set of LS6 243 casting heads sitting in my garage. Id like to build a 382 but cannot decide if a Stroker, or an ALL BORE will be my better bet. Also, im not trying to scimp on any parts, but i would like to keep it as cheap as possible. I also want to do it part by part( that way i feel im getting somewhere instead of waiting and waiting and getting frustrated), then have someone put it together for me as my mechanical skills are quite weak.( allthough im dying to learn how.) I just dont want to ***** anything up when this much time and money is on the line.

I currently have a TR224/224 112 cam. I love the drivability of this cam and the power which peaks at 6100 and only falls 4 RWHP from 6100 to 6600. I know this is NOT enough Cam for Stage 2 LS6 heads on a Stock 346 and even will be less so with larger displacement. Im looking for a Cam that will be driveable like the TR224 112 in a 382 Stroker, yet still make more tq and compareable HP to wild 346 Head Cam set ups. I was thinking 230/236 ??? Can it be done? is that too small? I want people to hear the cam, but i want driveability. Someone please lead me to a shop that can perhaps meet my goals of building a 382 stroker or all bore ( depending on which one you think would be better for mainly a street cruiser, occasional track visit car) Remember, im not trying to win trophies at the track. I just want to have a reliable, fun and fast build up for the street and occasional track visits. After the motor is done, i will most likey drive it to car shows and even do some Road racing as its a 1lE with a fine suspension.

Im in this game because i love the Camaro and i greatly enjoy the people who share this hobby. Theres just so much joy in driving one of these cars when set up the way you want to a function, track or car show. thanks for the help and happy driving.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Scoobie,

Since your have some excellent parts to work with I'd consider the following.

Getting a Darton Wet Sleeve block will cost ~$2400 to $2800 depending on who does the block. You will need ~$600 in pistons. So the cost will be around $3000 to $3400 for the key parts. Darton Wets sleeves are the way to go for sleeved blocks.

I would avoid any dry sleeve sleeve set up as they seem to have way more than their fair share of problems.

Building a stroker let's say machine work on the block hit's for $600 total. The Eagle rotating assembly costs ~$2000 and needs $200 of balance work. This would be ~$2800 for the key parts.

Assuming the rings and most of the other stuff is more or less a wash as far cost goes there isn't all that much difference in cost.

LS1Speed offers a short block 382 stroker for ~$4600 which seems like a great starting point.

In either case Big Bore or Stroker, I'd call TEA and talk with Brian about the TEA Stg 2.5 (Judson Massingill signature series with TEA nitrous exhaust port) LS6 heads. These can be set up for either 3.9 or 4.0 build ups, Brian can provide details.