Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looks like full rebuild time

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looks like full rebuild time

i heard a little sqeak from the top of engine and got a nervous. so i started to tear her down (again) and see whats up. sounded like a bad lifter and i had just put in new LS7 lifters (which poeple seem to have probs with). before i did all that i drained the oil and it had some fine metallic dust in it.
so i took the filter off and cut it open and heres what i found.

the filter was plugged almost solid with particulate. so i pulled the lifters from the left bank. heres the # 7 cylinder lifters, major scuffing on them.

it just did a cam, lifter , timing chain , oil pump install on it. im thinking i installed the oilpump internals backwards and it ate up the inside of the pump. i have to pull the rest apart yet and see what else is damaged. i can only hope that the crank and rods are ok. so at least it wont be too expensive to rebuild the bottom.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so now im just wondering....if my crank is shot, do i stay 347 or go 383? im not so sure on what kit i like. ive looked at all our sponsors stuff. im undecided.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think your bottom end is shot!! But look into what took out does lifter I never herd before on the oil pump gear being install backwards i guess that is were the metallic dust is coming from also did you had low oil pressure what was your gauge reading? if you end up rebuilding your engine go stroker 383!! But I will just fix the problem new pump and 2 lifter's and run it and see how it does!!