Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to downgrade to 5.3...will this stuff work out ok?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to downgrade to 5.3...will this stuff work out ok?

I just completed a bear of a swap only to have it go up in minutes...

1999 LS1, 2002 LS6 intake, 28lb injectors from LS6 intake, 1 7/8" long tube headers, 3" to Y then 4" single to dump, Wait4me tune, and SLP cam (234/228 .576 .571 112 ), PRC springs, stock clutch for now, and stock M6.

...into a 1993 Nissan skyline. "R32". About 2800lbs with LS1 and 4.08 gears on a 265-35-18 (aka 25.5" tall tire).

The car is a drift car and has been chugging along happily with a 280ish whp/270ish wtq 1JZ under the hood for several years with no real trouble. I got a wild hair and an itch for power so I started this giant headache. I have always enjoyed driving camaros and GTOs whenver I purchased them for the company so it just "made sense"....rigghht.

I put all of this together with much struggling (thought it wouldn't work at all) and had it running well. I thought I may have heard a faint hint of bottom end noise but I couldn't tell because of the loud exhaust. It was more of a "feeling" than a sound if you know what I mean.

Anywho, I took it to the track only to have it scatter all over the track after two laps.

Before you ask, I was doing most of the same things to help the oiling situation that most other drift folks do. (ported LS6 pump, GTO pan, fresh O ring and pickup tube, and a quart over full).

With all of that said, my question is if I have a 5.3 long block just sitting here, will I be able to plunk it in there on my cam/mods/tune and be ok for a while while I build a decent 6.0? Will my cam be too much for this smaller displacement? Other than the drilling/tapping of a hole for the alt., will everything else just bolt up? If it all works, is it a big enough difference that I should get a retune? If it matters, it is an 02 5.3, is that the right "reluctor" for my setup???

Sorry to be so dumb about this, I just need to know before I bring the car to the shop and waste my efforts on nill.

Thanks yall.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have 24x reluctor setup so your fine there, cam would be ok... everything else is PNP...

Get it retuned Fyi.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You read so much of this whwere someone goes timed course racing and ruins a good engine. Even with 1 qt extra in the oil pan I REALLY don't think the stock oil pan and pickup tube is made for this kind of service. If you are going to do the same thing again you better look into a better oiling system, maybe a dry sump etc.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Thank you nysbadmk8. Feeling more at ease.

I know these motors have oiling problems and sometimes they just go boom from starvation, but I was/am using the same setup that several other guys with LS1 who run at the same tracks as I do use... I am gonna try and get an accusump soon. If the 5.3 lasts a while with it, I will feel like whatever I build is safer.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How did it scatter and what was determined to be the cause...? Pics...?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Teching In

I have a 2004 5.3 in my 240sx with all the ls1 stuff from a 2002 ss on it and a gto oil pan, its working fine for the track so far.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

So the completely different profile of the vette pan isn't a clue to what the problem is?
Old 09-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Turbo S10, huh? Are you saying that because it is not a vette pan, I had oiling problems? Because vette pans are actually the worst of the three styles for oiling prblems. I am using GTO, middle ground on oiling issues.

I do not beleive it was oiling but rather a motor that was already making a lil bearing noise on that cylinder and 6600rpms+ was not what it wanted to see. I have not even pulled a cover yet, it could be a dropped valve and then all the stuff down low was from that. I will report back when I have more info on that.

NEW QUESTION! I will double post this question in a more appropriate place as well.

What "reluctor" count does a 2005 6.0 have? Can I use that in place of this 5.3 with no issues????? I found one DIRT cheap.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by swapinthedark
Turbo S10, huh? Are you saying that because it is not a vette pan, I had oiling problems? Because vette pans are actually the worst of the three styles for oiling prblems. I am using GTO, middle ground on oiling issues.

I do not beleive it was oiling but rather a motor that was already making a lil bearing noise on that cylinder and 6600rpms+ was not what it wanted to see. I have not even pulled a cover yet, it could be a dropped valve and then all the stuff down low was from that. I will report back when I have more info on that.

NEW QUESTION! I will double post this question in a more appropriate place as well.

What "reluctor" count does a 2005 6.0 have? Can I use that in place of this 5.3 with no issues????? I found one DIRT cheap.

Vette pans are BEST for cornering oil issues FYI, 05 ls2 has 24x wheel
Old 09-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Sweet! I juusssst found out it is the 24x and came here to find the answer again. Yall are awesome with getting this info out though! Other forums would take days on this stuff.

As to the pan differences, sorry bout that. Just going by reading/hearsay. GTO pan is my only option though so I gotta do what I can with it...accusump....?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by swapinthedark
Sweet! I juusssst found out it is the 24x and came here to find the answer again. Yall are awesome with getting this info out though! Other forums would take days on this stuff.

As to the pan differences, sorry bout that. Just going by reading/hearsay. GTO pan is my only option though so I gotta do what I can with it...accusump....?
3qt accusump...
Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Yessir. I've been looking on race junk, ebay, summit, trying to get a jewriffic deal on one all day.

I really want that "ESV" or whatever it is set and forget valve, but since I only need it to work when at the track, I may just do the manual valve.

Thanks again LS1tech folks, this place is way helpful!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the ESV, you wont like the manual valve.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Teching In

I was gonna start a new thread but figured as long as a couple people still loooked in here, I would atleast get a suggestion on a thread title to search or maybe even a real deal answer.

The 5.3 is long forgotten and I have just bought that 2005 LQ4...

If the heads on my LS1 (1999 or 2000 camaro motor I beleive they are "843" casting number) are still good, would I have anything to gain from using them over the ones on the LQ4? I know the LQ4 heads are like LS6 heads or something but they have bigger combustion chambers to lower compression... Would I be better to leave the heads on it and take the hit on compression or should I put my heads on it for now and deal with the lesser flow to get my comp numbers back to normal? I have NO $ for machining, but can "shop use" the gaskets and stuff so that dosn't really add to the $ of the build.

I'm leaning toward just leaving it alone. I just don't want it to feel "mushy" or not have the "snap" to it that it used to. I do not know enough about this to KNOW that lower comp will give it that feel, it is just the impression that I get from reading around.

Also, will an 05 LQ4 with cam and springs live at 6600rpms for a while? Just do rod bolts and see how

Lasssst question. I capped off the rear metal coolant crossover tube thing under/behind the intake manifold when I put on the LS6 intake. Could that have caused any one/two cylinders to get "hotter" than the others? Should I make a tube to cross it over like I did for the front one???

Thanks again guys. really quick and sensible replies on this board so far!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Sound like you're on you way to a nice setup. I think I read your thread on ZT if you're the same guy. I started out with a 5.3 in my 240 and I'm going lq4 next years drift season. 5.3 just does not enough sack. I haven't had any oil issues with mine all year and just running the stock gto pan w/o extra oil taking it to 6500rpm no rod bolts. Sounds like your engine was doomed from the start!

If you can find youself some 5.3 heads and do some minor port cleaning yourself to save some cash you'll end up with 10.8ish compression.

As for the crossover tube, when I bled mine out for the first time I just cracked the bolt and let out the air and tightened it back up. As long as you have one crossover I wouldn't be conserned, high rpm will push air out eventually if you had any.

Search this Thread